Job Title: Senior Kitchen Operations Design Engineer
Location: Cannon Street, London
Closing date: 1st January 2018
Deliveroo is on a mission to transform the way the world thinks about food delivery. It’s not a chicken chow mein and a night on the sofa anymore, it’s your favourite local restaurant, it’s a dinner party, a date.We’re four years in, and along the way our team have taken hundreds of ideas from brainstorms to global rollouts, like Deliveroo Editions bespoke kitchens designed to host a locally curated selection of restaurants. Editions are our solution to ensuring that our customers have access to the best of the food scene, no matter where they live.
And that’s just what we’re like at Deliveroo, no compromise allowed and lots of food inspired challenges to get your teeth into. Out of the box thinking is actively encouraged and we move quickly to make great ideas happen. We’re energetic, fast paced and blow off steam with free for all Friday lunches.
It’s a formula that’s working too we’re bringing great food to customers in 12 countries and over 100 cities.
As part of the Editions Operations Team, you'll work with several different stakeholders inside and outside Deliveroo to help make these restaurant partners successful. These kitchens aren’t your typical kitchens, and need someone who can view them through a design lens to articulate and help envision the kitchens of the future.
To accomplish this, on a day-to-day basis, you will:
- Spend most of your time in restaurant kitchens – both Editions and regular restaurants so as to understand the differences, the similarities and where Editions kitchens could benefit from improvements.
- Be responsible for the planning, delivery and analysis of research projects that break down the working of many different kitchens.
- Work to design tools – technical or mechanical that would help prototype potential solutions to efficiency bottlenecks in the kitchens.
- Build prototypes of the tools you’ve designed to see if they work and test them in the real world.
- Work with our restaurant partners to better understand how individual pieces of equipment are used.
- Iterate quickly on prototypes, and user interfaces to help restaurant partners be more efficient.
- Work with our robotics team to help design tools and devices that fit within the Editions infrastructure.
- Work with the Supply Chain team to design efficient inventory management and receiving processes and software so as to reduce food waste, and stock out issues at partner restaurants.
- Work with Site Managers to find ways to help them proactively deal with issues, before, or as they arise.
- Gathering insight on how Restaurants process orders, and respond to incoming volume
The products we work on are as diverse as the users we serve. Your role includes a variety of skills and domains. Therefore during your time at Deliveroo, you’ll be exposed to a number of very different areas, such as:
- User Research where you interact with our Restaurant Partners, Site Managers and Riders to understand their goals, and the issues they face in achieving these goals.
- Engineering, in order to design and build real prototypes of tools and processes that will be implemented inside Editions sites, or specific kitchens.
We value intellectual humility, an eagerness to learn, and the ability to move quickly when needed. But above all else, we're looking for unique personalities with varied backgrounds that add something new to our team.
This role is for you if you:
- Are analytical, empathetic, and a great listener
- Have an innate understanding of people, their motivations and thought processes
- Have several years' experience working in User Research
- Have experience working on both formative and evaluative research projects
- Have experience in a wide range of methodologies, e.g. interviews, diary studies, ethnography, surveys, usability testing
- Are comfortable presenting research findings to senior stakeholders, and working with them to inform business and product strategy
- Ideally have a degree in psychology, sociology, or related discipline - although this is not required
- Have a great appetite (we love eating!)
- Free food and LOTS of it
- Access to Deliveroo Plus (no delivery fee on all orders)
- A brand new extremely impressive and fun office complete with nap room, onsite gym, basketball court and a roof top overlooking Tower Bridge
- Subsidised gym membership
- Top-notch kit. Bring your own or we'll get you a shiny new Macbook and stuff.
- An extremely fun team to work alongside!
- Abundance of great online learning courses delivered by global universities
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start ups around.