Job Title: Software Engineering Manager
Location: Cannon Street, London
Who We Are
Our ambition is to be the definitive food company, feeding people three times a day with great food from the World's best-loved restaurants, all with an unparalleled level of convenience.
From distributed computing to large-scale system design, complex algorithms to beautiful user interfaces, we have teams working on every step of the journey, in real-time, to ensure we continue to offer our customers a growing selection of choice at the best price with a fantastic level of service.
We work with thousands of restaurants worldwide, from renowned local gems to your favourite chains, allowing them to open up a new revenue stream and reach new customers. Our restaurant partners, riders and customers are as passionate about food as we are, and if you want to make an impact on millions of users by solving some of the biggest technical challenges at great scale, come on board and join the ride.
At Deliveroo we’re striving to build London’s best engineering organisation.
We’re dedicated to building a collaborative and supportive culture. We set goals and objectives and offer advice. We empower our engineers to find solutions to problems at great scale. We trust them to use their time wisely.
Our teams are solving unique and difficult problems at scale in an energetic and hyper-growth environment. We’re growing incredibly quickly and we need experienced technical managers to help us scale.
We’re looking for engineering managers at all levels of experience, from managing one or two teams to directing at a group level.
Over the next 12 months you will:
- Line manage one or more teams of Backend, iOS, Android and Web Engineers
- Contribute to product strategy, set project goals and continue to support and develop your team
- Grow a diverse, highly-skilled group of engineers, gaining fantastic exposure to scaling a tech team at a unique pace
- Create a learning environment for your team and act as a mentor for engineers and up and coming leaders
- Become instrumental in improving and implementing processes and values that scale effectively
- Provide technical mentorship to engineers building and deploying large-scale projects internationally
- Collaborate with cross functional teams including product, design, operations
- Proven leadership skills as a line manager to a team
- You have been a software engineer building user-focused products at pace
- Your style is collaborative and supportive, to encourage your team to continually optimise their code
- You set goals and objectives and offer advice, setting your team up for success
- You’re a natural recruiter, passionate about building your team
- Passionate about collaborative problem solving
Some of the Teams that make up Deliveroo Engineering
Growth is the team at Deliveroo that explores, validates and delivers new business opportunities to drive long-term growth. From building systems that enable targeted promotion for restaurants, to designing subscription programmes and maximising the impact of our digital marketing , Growth is central to building and retaining our customer base.
The Consumer teams manage the consumer experience from the moment the app or website is opened right up until an order is placed. These teams are constantly obsessing about improving the consumer experience to ensure Deliveroo is positioned to become the definitive food company. From the choice and availability of restaurants to the menus on offer to order from, the customer help and live chat functionality to the overall basket and checkout experience, the efforts of these teams are endless and are used by our growing unique weekly active customers.
The Payments Team sits at the centre of Deliveroo’s three-sided marketplace: accepting money from customers, then ensuring riders and restaurants get paid their share. A simple goal with no easy answers when Deliveroo needs to move millions of pounds every day across over a dozen countries. Diverse payment methods, bank protocols, regulations and customer behaviour all add complexity. Payments strives to handle these complexities by building full-stack systems that can scale for years to come.
Our riders are small business owners, we want to make running their business a breeze. Our Delivery Team projects can be anything from delivering insights on when and where our riders should work to creating individual perks and incentives for them, devising strategies to onboard applicants and supporting them through their first ride to making deliveries anywhere in a city efficient and hassle-free via complex algorithms. To our riders, time is money and our goal is to make each ride blissfully fast.
Deliveroo needs to become the restaurant partner of choice for all types of restaurants to increase restaurant selection and achieve exclusivity. The Restaurants team is responsible for owning the complete lifecycle of a restaurant within Deliveroo. This starts with effectively onboarding restaurants, building an in-restaurant technology platform, seamless integration with their daily operations, and providing them with relevant tools and insights to maintain and grow their business.
Our Platform teams ensure the company’s microservices architecture is scalable, reliable and secure. From Data Engineering to Software, Tools & Infrastructure, Site Reliability & Security to Technical Risk & Mitigation, these teams all collectively ensure that the Deliveroo product and the shipped code from the product teams will scale reliably and securely.
- Flexible working, including parent-friendly working hours, flexible hours, and work from home
- Maternity/paternity leave and shared parental leave
- An internationally diverse, sociable, dynamic team to work alongside
- Centralised London engineering organisation with UK working hours
- Build and ship products in London
- Conferences (attending / speaking) and learning resources
- Private healthcare and dental plans, 4% matched pension plan
- Company wide tech talks with internal and external speakers, and a calendar of tech meetups hosted on the premises
- Deliveroo Plus subscription (no delivery fee on all orders)
- Sociable, company-wide Friday lunches, all on Deliveroo!
- Full relocation support, worldwide
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexuality, disability, age, marital, parental or veteran status, or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups around.