Deliveroo is on a mission to transform the way the world thinks about food delivery. It’s not a chicken chow mein and a night on the sofa anymore, it’s your favourite local restaurant, it’s a dinner party, a date.
We’re four years in, and along the way our team have taken hundreds of ideas from brainstorms to global roll-outs, like Deliveroo Editions – bespoke kitchens designed to host a locally-curated selection of restaurants. Editions are our solution to ensuring that our customers have access to the best of the food-scene, no matter where they live.
And that’s just what we’re like at Deliveroo, no compromise allowed and lots of food-inspired challenges to sink your teeth into. Out-of-the-box thinking is actively encouraged and we move quickly to make great ideas happen. We’re energetic, fast-paced and blow off steam with free-for-all Friday lunches.
It’s a formula that’s working too – we’re bringing great food to customers in 12 countries and over 160 cities.
Logistics algorithms at Deliveroo
We're looking for experienced researchers to join our interdisciplinary team, with members from fields such as computer vision, operations research, cognitive neuroscience, behavioural economics, econometrics, physics, and civil engineering.
Algorithms Data Scientists at Deliveroo collaboratively apply their diverse backgrounds to build sophisticated algorithms that address extremely difficult, mission-critical problems, such as dynamic vehicle routing, incentivising our fleet of riders, logistics capacity management, and recommender systems.
The improved algorithms you develop will be A/B tested quickly and rigorously and you will have direct, measurable impact on the bottom line.
- Bring a combination of mathematical and scientific rigour, entrepreneurial thinking, and a hunger to build intelligent machines that drive the company forward.
- Learn and develop new techniques.
- Translate unstructured, complex business problems into practical, powerful algorithmic solutions.
- Design, execute, and analyse live experiments to test what you build.
- Work closely with engineers, product managers, and designers.
Some examples of the problems you might tackle in your new role:
- How can we solve dynamic, stochastic routing problems whose complexity is at or beyond the cutting edge of current theory?
- How do we most effectively combine routing algorithms with demand forecasting models, rider availability models, and restaurant scheduling models?
- How can we most effectively and automatically nudge riders to maximise their earnings while providing a delightful service to our customers?
- How can we dynamically price our service?
- PhD in Computer Science, Computer Vision, Statistics, Operations Research, Mathematics, Econometrics, or related quantitative field.
- Entrepreneurial attitude: you care about impact and are constantly seeking the necessary conversations to ensure that you build the right algorithm at the right time. You see your job as making that impact, not completing tasks.
- Proven track record of building effective algorithms at industry-scale.
- 5+ years of industry experience.
- Extensive experience with regression and classification modelling in a prediction/control setting, and strong grasp of the associated concepts.
- Experience with integer optimisation, time series modelling, recommender systems, and experiment design are all useful.
- Conferences and courses; we're all about personal and professional development.
- An in-office gym and subsidised membership at a number of local gyms.
- Regular off-sites with the team, as well as games nights and fitness classes.
- Food. So much food.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups around.