Job Title: Software Engineer - Web
Location: Cannon Street, London
Closing Date: 04/07/2018
Before r̶o̶o̶-̶v̶i̶e̶w̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶e̶-̶r̶o̶o̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶p̶-̶r̶o̶o̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶ reading this job advert, we want you to know that it's intended for you to see how we work, and decide if we're right for you. Research shows that a significant number of people decide not to apply to jobs based on the requirements listed in the ad; if you see something here that you're interested in but not expert level at...good! You can learn here. It's also best that you aren't brilliant at everything, as we don't hire ninjas, wizards, or padawans. Other than those, we're very inclusive. If you think Deliveroo could be a great place for you, apply!
We’d love you to join us!
Hello, we’re Deliveroo. The Roo logo on the bikes? Yep, that’s us! We’re one of the world’s fastest growing startups, and we’re making huge waves in the restaurant and logistics industries.
Contrary to popular belief, it’s not kangaroo meat in the boxes. It’s quality food from top-notch restaurants like Cocotte, Gaucho, or Busaba. Instead of your local takeaway, we’ll fill your mealtime with the best cuisine, cooked by the best chefs from around the world.
What we do
We bring meals of the highest quality, from the restaurant to you, fast. Try it out if you haven’t before. Go to our website or open up our mobile app. You’ll be greeted by an elegant menu, put together by our talented product team. Once you’ve input your location, we’ll provide a curated list of restaurants that will deliver to you. Select your items, choose any modifiers (lemon and herb? Oh, come on!) and we’ll take over. Swap the sloppy joe for a gourmet burger just dripping with all sorts of deliciousness.
How it works
Our brilliant team have helped us build a fantastically complex system that alerts the restaurant to your order, and sends a Roo (that’s what we call them, the lovely people on scooters and bikes) to the restaurant, and then to your location, in an average time of 32 minutes. It’s great for all occasions: a business lunch, entertaining guests (or guest...we won’t tell them you didn’t make it yourself!), or any time where a dodgy smelling leftover kebab just won’t cut it! You'll learn from the very best. Our developers are of the highest calibre, and you can learn more about them by visiting our Engineering Blog
- Work as part of a full stack product team, working closely with Backend & Mobile Developers, Product Designers, Product Managers and QAs, to develop solutions to ensure optimal experiences for our customers, riders, and restaurants
- Utilise a variety of frontend technologies to build scalable products
- You’ll take part in decisions related to how we undertake new projects
- You’ll gather requirements and scope out projects with the rest of the team
- Experience building responsive UIs on the web that are both maintainable and robust
- Knowledge of testing techniques applied to web UIs (for example, Webdriver, WebPageTest)
- A broad knowledge of the web platform as a whole (HTTP, web performance, web security, frameworks)
- Great communication skills and evidence of successful collaboration with designers and backend engineers
- Some knowledge of React and Ruby on Rails, our current web stack
- In depth knowledge of web performance, accessibility or complementary skillsets
- Experience with Google Maps, OpenStreetMaps, or other geography visualisation applications.
- Fantastic exposure to scaling a tech team at a unique pace
- Work at our new headquarters right by Cannon Street Station. The office has a prayer room, nap room, onsite gym, and a rooftop garden overlooking Tower Bridge. We hold firmwide meetings on our basketball court
- Flexible working, including parent friendly working hours, flexible hours, working from home days - all made easy by our great use of tech including video conferencing, slack, workplace
- Maternity/paternity leave and shared parental leave
- An internationally diverse, sociable, dynamic team to work alongside
- Conferences (attending and/or speaking) and learning resources
- Company benefits including: discounted private healthcare and a pension plan with employer contributions, childcare voucher scheme, cycle to work scheme, charitable giving, subsidised gym membership, cycle parking)
- Company wide tech talks with internal and external speakers, and a calendar of tech meetups hosted on the premises
- Regular team off-sites
- Access to Deliveroo Plus (no delivery fee on all orders)
- Every Friday we order lunch for everyone from restaurants on the Deliveroo platform
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start ups around.