Who we are
We’re in the business of delivering awesome meals into everyone's home or office – fast.
We achieve this by building and running a superb website, suite of mobile apps, a complex logistical platform, a fleet of passionate drivers, and a global operation, all to help bring great food from the world's best-loved local restaurants to consumers with an unparalleled level of convenience. We don’t want people to have to suffer with bad takeaway delivered an age after they order.
We work with hundreds of the UK's best loved restaurants along with renowned local gems such as to enable them to open up a valuable new revenue stream. Our customers are as passionate about great food as we are!
The only thing faster than our deliveries is the growth rate of our company. We’re increasing in business scale and organizational size at a blisteringly fast rate, and keeping it all together and making everything click are at the heart of what make working at Deliveroo a thrilling experience. If you want to make a difference, and you’re passionate about food, come on board and join the ride.
What we do
As a logistics company, our software is used to transport physical goods and solve real-world problems. We handle rapid decisions about dispatching drivers in real-time and remove slow human think-time and inefficient information discovery from every interchange point in the order processing workflow so food deliveries can be fulfilled as quickly as possibly. Our current total order fulfillment time from the time that the customer submits an order until they receive their meal is, on average, 32 minutes, although we know we can do better.
Our product team is growing, quickly: our breakneck-paced growth comes with many challenges, from our dispatch backend to excellence in front-end UX, and from software architecture to highly usable mobile applications.
We're uncompromising though: we like smart, ambitious software engineers, designers, and product managers to join us, and help us build and scale this lovable (and loved!) product.
We are looking for like-minded developers who truly love the craft of software engineering. We value a job well done rather than unreasonably long hours. We encourage our engineers to be curious, put time into studying software development (learn new languages, study design patterns or algorithms, experiment with new open source frameworks, etc) and to continue to develop new skills.
As a Software Engineer on our team, you will:
- Develop and maintain a robust and scalable data platform to support Deliveroo as it continues to grow.
- Build batch and streaming pipelines for the purpose of analysis across product, operations,data science and other areas.
- Contribute to solving Deliveroo’s logistics challenges by provisioning high quality data frameworks
- Pride in readable, well-designed, well-tested software.
- Experience in developing data processing applications in Java/Scala
- Experience using AWS environment, particularly in S3, EMR, EC2 and using the AWS SDK and CLI.
- Experience with testing frameworks such as ScalaTest and JUnit
Desirable but not essential
- Experience with Kinesis, Kafka, Storm or other real-time systems.
- Experience with the Hadoop ecosystem as well as data processing frameworks such as Scalding, Cascading, Algebird and Spark.
- Knowledge of different data repositories and their use cases (relational, MPP, NoSQL, key-value, document)
- A sense of humour.
- A stash of Kangaroo GIFs (Cat GIFs tolerated).
- Top-notch kit. We'll provide a shiny new Macbook and everything else you need.
- Attractive stock options in this high growth company
- Education stipend, including conferences, virtual seminars, and anything else you need.
- Tech and food events with the team.
- Gym membership at a high end gym.
- Swag! You'd better like kangaroos though.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start ups around.