Job Title - Software Engineer - Data
Location: Cannon Street, London
Who we are
We’re in the business of delivering awesome meals into everyone's home or office – fast.
We achieve this by building and running a superb website, suite of mobile apps, a complex logistical platform, a fleet of passionate drivers, and a global operation, all to help bring great food from the world's best-loved local restaurants to consumers with an unparalleled level of convenience. We don’t want people to have to suffer with bad takeaway delivered an age after they order.
We work with hundreds of the UK's best loved restaurants along with renowned local gems such as to enable them to open up a valuable new revenue stream. Our customers are as passionate about great food as we are!
The only thing faster than our deliveries is the growth rate of our company. We’re increasing in business scale and organizational size at a blisteringly fast rate, and keeping it all together and making everything click are at the heart of what make working at Deliveroo a thrilling experience. If you want to make a difference, and you’re passionate about food, come on board and join the ride.
Our product team is growing, quickly: our breakneck-paced growth comes with many challenges, from our dispatch backend to excellence in front-end UX, and from software architecture to highly usable mobile applications.
We're uncompromising though: we like smart, ambitious software engineers, designers, and product managers to join us, and help us build and scale this lovable (and loved!) product.
We are looking for like-minded developers who truly love the craft of software engineering. We value a job well done rather than unreasonably long hours. We encourage our engineers to be curious, put time into studying software development (learn new languages, study design patterns or algorithms, experiment with new open source frameworks, etc) and to continue to develop new skills.
As a Software Engineer on one of our data/algorithms teams, you may:
- Develop and maintain a robust and scalable data platform to support Deliveroo as it continues to grow.
- Build batch and streaming pipelines for the purpose of analysis across product, operations,data science and other areas.
- Contribute to solving Deliveroo’s logistics challenges by provisioning high quality data frameworks
- Implement algorithms, working closely with data scientists
- Build production systems that make real time decisions based on machine learning models
Above all, our engineers have pride in readable, well-designed, well-tested software.
The following are all useful; we don’t expect anyone to have all of this:
- Experience in developing data processing applications in Java/Scala
- Experience using AWS environment, particularly in S3, EMR, EC2 and using the AWS SDK and CLI.
- Experience with testing frameworks such as ScalaTest and JUnit
- Experience with Kinesis, Kafka, Storm or other real-time systems.
- Experience with the Hadoop ecosystem as well as data processing frameworks such as Scalding, Cascading, Algebird and Spark.
- Knowledge of different data repositories and their use cases (relational, MPP, NoSQL, key-value, document)
- Experience implementing algorithms
- Experience working closely with data scientists
- Experience building production systems that make real time decisions based on machine learning models
- Experience maintaining consistency between online and offline data sets, and training and production models
- A strong understanding of computational complexity, parallelisation, and efficiency in implementation
- Fantastic exposure to scaling a tech team at a unique pace
- Work at our new headquarters right by Cannon Street Station. The office has a prayer room, nap room, onsite gym, and a rooftop garden overlooking Tower Bridge. We hold firmwide meetings on our basketball court
- Flexible working, including parent friendly working hours, flexible hours, working from home days - all made easy by our great use of tech including video conferencing, slack, workplace
- Maternity/paternity leave and shared parental leave
- An internationally diverse, sociable, dynamic team to work alongside
- Conferences (attending and/or speaking) and learning resources
- Company benefits including: discounted private healthcare and a pension plan with employer contributions, childcare voucher scheme, cycle to work scheme, charitable giving, subsidised gym membership, cycle parking)
- Company wide tech talks with internal and external speakers, and a calendar of tech meetups hosted on the premises
- Regular team off-sites
- Access to Deliveroo Plus (no delivery fee on all orders)
- Every Friday we order lunch for everyone from restaurants on the Deliveroo platform
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start ups around.