Job Title - Platform Engineer
Location - Cannon Street, London
Salary - Competitive
Closing Date - 23rd February 2018
Deliveroo is on a mission to transform the way the world thinks about food delivery. It’s not a chicken chow mein and a night on the sofa anymore, it’s your favourite local restaurant, it’s a dinner party, a date.
We’re four years in, and along the way our team have taken hundreds of ideas from brainstorms to global rollouts, like Deliveroo Editions bespoke kitchens designed to host a locally curated selection of restaurants. Editions are our solution to ensuring that our customers have access to the best of the food scene, no matter where they live.
And that’s just what we’re like at Deliveroo, no compromise allowed and lots of food inspired challenges to get your teeth into. Out of the box thinking is actively encouraged and we move quickly to make great ideas happen. We’re energetic, fast paced and blow off steam with free for all Friday lunches.
It’s a formula that’s working too we’re bringing great food to customers in 12 countries and over 100 cities.
At Deliveroo we’re striving to build London’s best engineering organisation.
Our teams are solving unique and difficult problems at scale in an energetic and hyper-growth environment. We’re growing incredibly quickly, and we need experienced Platform Engineers to help our platform engineering team to innovate and scale.
As a Platform Engineer, you will play a key role within our Product team. We have a "customer-first, live service-first" mindset, and we enable our teams to affect change with speed, ease & confidence. The reliability of our Deliveroo service, innovation in our production platform, and "engineer happiness" in our toolchain are our biggest priorities. You will need excellent software development or systems engineering skills, a passion for solving the problems of our fellow engineers, to enjoy working in a constantly evolving start-up, and steering the strategic direction of crucial functions like service reliability and infrastructure management.
- You'll work in our Platform Engineering team, utilising AGILE best practice
- You'll build platform products and tools and improve existing ones (tech products that is...not meals)
- You'll take part in decisions related to how we undertake new projects
- You'll gather requirements and scope out projects with the rest of the team
- You'll work closely with our fellow engineers, designers, QA and others
- Pride in readable, well-designed, well-tested software OR scripts
- Experience with TDD environments (RSpec, Minitest, Capybara, Selenium)
- Experience with relational databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL) and key-value stores (Memcache, Redis)
- 2 or more years professional experience writing web-based applications and a willingness to quickly get up to speed on our stack (Ruby/Rails, Python or Scala)
- 2 or more years professional “DevOps” experience managing toolchains and cloud-based production environments and a willingness to quickly get up to speed on our stack (Ruby/Rails, Python or Scala)
Nice to haves:
- Experience with containerisation and infrastructure management in a large engineering org
- Experience with AWS or Azure clouds and the relevant “DevOps” services and tools
- Experience in designing, analysing, and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Experience with front-end web technology, bonus points for React
- Experience with web architecture at scale (20krpm and above)
- Experience with "NoSQL" data backends (Redis, MongoDB, ElasticSearch)
- Experience with Go or Ruby and/or Rails
- Experience solving logistical problems with software
- Fantastic exposure to scaling a tech team at a unique pace
- Work at our new headquarters right by Cannon Street Station. The office has a prayer room, nap room, onsite gym, and a rooftop garden overlooking Tower Bridge. We hold firmwide meetings on our basketball court
- Flexible working, including parent friendly working hours, flexible hours, working from home days - all made easy by our great use of tech including video conferencing, slack, workplace
- Maternity/paternity leave and shared parental leave
- An internationally diverse, sociable, dynamic team to work alongside
- Conferences (attending and/or speaking) and learning resources
- Company benefits including: discounted private healthcare and a pension plan with employer contributions, childcare voucher scheme, cycle to work scheme, charitable giving, subsidised gym membership, cycle parking)
- Company wide tech talks with internal and external speakers, and a calendar of tech meetups hosted on the premises
- Regular team off-sites
- Access to Deliveroo Plus (no delivery fee on all orders)
- Every Friday we order lunch for everyone from restaurants on the Deliveroo platform
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start ups around.