Job Title: Software Engineer - Back End
Location: Cannon Street, London
Before reading this job advert, we want you to know that it's intended for you to see how we work, and decide if we're right for you. Research shows that a significant number of people decide not to apply to jobs based on the requirements listed in the advert; if you see something here that you're not expert level or even relatively skilled at... good! You can learn it all here.
Who We Are
We’re in the business of delivering awesome meals into everyone's home or office – fast.
We achieve this by building and running a superb website, suite of mobile apps, a complex logistical platform, a fleet of passionate drivers, and a global operation, all to help bring great food from the world's best-loved local restaurants to consumers with an unparalleled level of convenience. We don’t want people to have to suffer with bad takeaway delivered an age after they order.
- Work as part of a full stack product team to develop solutions to ensure optimal experiences for our customers, riders, and restaurants
- Utilise a variety of backend technologies to build scalable products
- You'll take part in decisions related to how we undertake new projects
- You'll gather requirements and scope out projects with the rest of the team
- Pride in readable, well-designed, well-tested software
- 2 or more years professional experience writing web-based applications in any language, and a willingness to quickly get up to speed on our stack (Ruby/Rails, Go, Python and Scala)
- Experience with TDD environments (RSpec, Minitest, Capybara, Selenium)
- Experience with relational databases (PostGreSQL, MySQL) and key-value stores (Memcache, Redis)
Nice to haves
- Experience with front-end web technology, bonus points for React
- Experience with web architecture at scale (20krpm and above)
- Experience with PostGIS, or any geography-heavy applications
- Experience with "NoSQL" data backends (Redis, MongoDB, ElasticSearch)
- Experience solving logistical problems with software
- Fantastic exposure to scaling a tech team at a unique pace
- Work at our new headquarters right by Cannon Street Station. The office has a prayer room, nap room, onsite gym, and a rooftop garden overlooking Tower Bridge. We hold firmwide meetings on our basketball court
- Flexible working, including parent friendly working hours, flexible hours, working from home days - all made easy by our great use of tech including video conferencing, slack, workplace
- Maternity/paternity leave and shared parental leave
- An internationally diverse, sociable, dynamic team to work alongside
- Conferences (attending and/or speaking) and learning resources
- Company benefits including: discounted private healthcare and a pension plan with employer contributions, childcare voucher scheme, cycle to work scheme, charitable giving, subsidised gym membership, cycle parking)
- Company wide tech talks with internal and external speakers, and a calendar of tech meetups hosted on the premises
- Regular team off-sites
- Access to Deliveroo Plus (no delivery fee on all orders)
- Every Friday we order lunch for everyone from restaurants on the Deliveroo platform
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start ups around.