About the team
In Deliveroo Legal, we pride ourselves on doing things a little differently. We're enablers, business partners, opportunity creators. We're a team that makes things happen. And we want you to be part of it. We're looking for a Senior Commercial Counsel (France and Belgium) based in Paris to join our International team, reporting to our Head of International.
In Deliveroo Commercial, in partnership with our in-country legal teams, we advise on matters that keep the lights on across our markets. Whether it's negotiating a deal to launch a new partner on the platform, launching groceries on Deliveroo or rolling out our latest tech product, we work closely with our business counterparts to make things happen. Our responsibilities include sales/commercial, procurement, marketing and advertising, commercial disputes, regulatory compliance, consumer protection, brand protection and more. No two days are the same - everyday is a learning day.
What you'll be doing
- Consistently provide high-quality, risk-based legal advice across a range of commercial areas.
- Build relationships of trust with partners across our business - partner with our business to unlock opportunities, provide advice and manage risk along the way.
- Lead and actively manage complex commercial matters to drive them to completion at pace, identify creative solutions to legal problems and future proof our contracts.
- Collaborate cross-functionally - with both other functions in Deliveroo Legal (Privacy, Property, Corporate, Employment) and across our business.
- Become a subject matter expert in some of the areas relevant to our operations.
- Work as part of an incredible supportive, collegiate and collaborative team to deliver our shared vision and strategy.
- Provide mentoring and coaching to junior members of the Legal team. Embrace opportunities to develop and hone your mentorship skills.
- Support the Head of International in building and delivering the team strategy.
- Advising on a wide range of ad hoc legal matters.. You're comfortable with the uncomfortable - whether that's taking French law principles you know and collaborating with our external experts to work out the Belgian law equivalent, or working in an entirely new area of law.
- Partnering with our Commercial teams to unlock new partnerships and business opportunities. One day you're negotiating with a global partner, the next you're working closely with our operations team to figure out how to scale our legal processes to work for your favourite local gem.
- As part of a rotating squad, be the on-call lawyer for our marketing and communications teams. You'll provide principled guidance on their latest creations and work as part of the team from start to finish to deliver exciting campaigns across a range of channels.
- Representing Legal in working groups and steering committees to find solutions to new challenges - whether that's a change of law, a strategic project or the implementation of a new tech product. You'll own the legal risks and be responsible for collaborating to find solutions to them.
- Supporting functions across Deliveroo including Tech, Marketing, People, Finance and Supply Chain to get the services and goods they need to run our business.
- Providing training and guidance to the business on a range of areas from marketing basics to competition law in commercial contracts. We'll upskill you on technical topics you're less familiar with, and you'll quickly find your areas of expertise.
- Be passionate about food, tech and innovation.
- Take ownership of your matters. You're an individual who takes the initiative.
- Be a proven team player and a developing leader. Even our most junior team members are given the opportunity to hone their mentorship skills.
- Be a confident communicator - you're as happy describing risks to an Exec team member as you are to a grad in the marketing team, and you adapt your style to suit.
- Be commercially minded - you're a true business partner.
- Be a qualified attorney in France (6 PQE +).
- Fluent in both French and English
- Have an excellent academic record and preferably law firm experience providing commercial, strategic advice to international businesses. In-house experience too is a big plus.
- Have experience leading complex commercial transactions. You're comfortable drafting and negotiating a range of commercial contracts, competent in free-drafting and happy to take the lead in a complex negotiation.
Our mission is to be the definitive food company. We are transforming the way the world eats by making food more convenient and accessible. We give people the opportunity to eat what they want, as they want it, when and where they want it.
We are a technology-driven company at the forefront of the most rapidly expanding industry in the world. We are still a small team, making a very large impact, looking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, value autonomy and ownership, and we are always looking for new ideas.
Workplace & Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups in an incredibly exciting space.