Business Operations Manager - Deliveroo Hop
At Deliveroo, we are transforming the way people think about food.
We are on a mission to be the definitive food company. We want to be the platform that people turn to whenever they think about food. We operate in a competitive marketplace but have achieved a great deal with the recent expansion of our Hop, Grocery, Editions, Signature and Plus businesses.
We continue to innovate and challenge ourselves on what we should deliver next to achieve our mission and feed the appetite of our customers. We are investing in and building out our teams to help us launch new and innovative products. It’s an exciting time to join us and while we have made great progress, we are just getting started!
But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us - a story we would love you to help us shape.
9 years in - we now operate in 13 markets, with over 100,000 riders who deliver orders from 160,000 restaurants and 13,000 grocery partners in over 500 towns and cities worldwide.
We launched Deliveroo HOP in September 2021 as our ultra-fast, quick-commerce grocery delivery service. Our mission is to deliver groceries and an expanding range of non-food goods to customers around the world in as little as minutes; from the weekly shop to a last minute dinner party or a late night snack. Working with trusted grocers, Deliveroo HOP brings customers the very best products at lightning speed.
We are building a network of stores across London, the UK and are currently live in 5 markets worldwide. Partnered with a variety of retail partners, each of our stores is staffed with a team who have been highly trained to manage the operations efficiently as well as pick and pack orders in record time, with Deliveroo’s rider network completing all deliveries.
We are also expanding our Hop business model, including our Hop As A Service model and small partner relationships.
We’re looking for people with exceptional drive and entrepreneurial spirit to join the team and help us build the industry’s leading quick-commerce grocery service. This is an exciting time to join Deliveroo HOP within the broader Deliveroo organisation - we’re only just getting started!
This Business Operations Manager will be responsible for the end-to-end management of a variety of projects aimed at achieving strategic business goals on efficiency optimisation at HOP stores. In particular, they will own key projects on labour productivity and warehouse space planning.
This will require them to work with agility in a fast-changing business and organisational environment, with a sharp eye for factors that drive key operational metrics. To be successful in the role requires them to work independently, develop an understanding of operational levers and data, and, ultimately, take ownership of their projects to strive for continuous improvement. The entrepreneurial nature of the work will give them opportunities to showcase their project implementation in a complex and evolving environment.
They will be in regular communication with senior stakeholders through the project lifecycle. This will entail keeping all related and involved parties up to date on progress, identifying potential risks to implementation and suggesting course correction in line with competing priorities. This will also involve presenting to senior colleagues, contributing to efficiency strategy, preparing project plans, and influencing colleagues across multiple departments to ensure buy in and implementation.
- Develop a deep understanding of operational improvements key to financial and strategic goals of the company, in particular on labour productivity and warehouse space planning
- Define and lead project objectives, timeline and success measures by working directly with operational leadership and relevant stakeholders
- Build scalable and time efficient solutions through automation to efficiently drive operational improvements and to track success metrics in an evolving business environment
- Establish and maintain relationships with key stakeholders (in particular, site operations, product, enterprise technology and finance and strategy teams) to ensure alignment across different teams and to build effective ways of working to ensure project success
- Take ownership of site level implementation of by working directly with relevant teams
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously, skillfully prioritising competing business demands and proactively harness and implementing learnings for timely course correction
- Provide project updates to senior management and key stakeholders, and effectively surface key issues, dependencies and timeline risks (e.g. tech delays, site ops resources etc.)
- Measure project success and tangible impact to identify process improvements needed to ensure continuous operational improvement
- 3+ years of relevant experience in a consulting or project management role
- Experience leading strategy-based projects to identify and resolve multi-dimensional issues to deliver strategic and operational success
- Experience working with cross-functional teams with a wide range of expertise
- Experience analysing large amounts of data, in particular working with analytical models that combine quantitative qualitative information on complex real world scenarios
- Experience in managing implementation projects
- Excellent presentation, communication, organisation and project prioritisation skills
- Ability to work in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and ambiguous business environment
- Proficiency in G-Suite and Microsoft Office for analysis and presentation
- Experience in logistics, retail and/ or grocery is not required but is preferable
- Formal programme management qualifications (PRINCE2 etc.) is beneficial but not essential
- Note: This role is UK based but may require some travel
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups in an incredibly exciting space.