Role / Introduction
In Deliveroo Legal, we pride ourselves on doing things a little differently. We’re enablers, business partners, opportunity creators. We’re a team that makes things happen. And we want you to be part of it. We’re on the hunt for a Senior Commercial Counsel to join our HQ Commercial legal team, reporting to our Head of Commercial.
In Deliveroo Commercial, in partnership with our in-country legal teams, we advise on matters that keep the lights on across our markets. Whether it’s negotiating a deal to launch a new partner on the platform, launching groceries on Deliveroo or rolling out our latest tech product, we work closely with our business counterparts to make things happen. Our responsibilities include sales/commercial, procurement, marketing and advertising, commercial disputes, regulatory compliance, consumer protection, brand protection and more. No two days are the same - everyday is a learning day.
We like to think of ourselves as a grown-up start-up. We’ve got a few years under our belt now and were listed on the London Stock Exchange in March 2021. But we’re just getting started. This is a unique opportunity to work for a UK headquartered listed company in a fast-paced industry that is changing every day, with plenty of scope to make an impact.
Objectives of the Role
- Consistently provide high-quality, risk-based legal advice across a range of commercial areas.
- Build relationships of trust with stakeholders across our business - partner with our business to unlock opportunities, provide pragmatic advice and manage risk along the way.
- Lead and actively manage complex commercial matters to drive them to completion at pace, identify creative solutions to legal problems and future proof our contracts.
- Collaborate cross-functionally - with both other functions in Deliveroo Legal (Privacy, Property, Corporate, Employment) and across our business.
- Become a subject matter expert in some of the areas relevant to our operations.
- Work as part of an incredible supportive, collegiate and collaborative team to deliver our shared vision and strategy.
- Provide mentoring and coaching to junior members of the Legal team. Embrace opportunities to develop and hone your leadership skills.
- Support the Head of Commercial in building and delivering the Commercial team strategy.
Daily and Monthly Responsibilities
- Advising on a wide range of ad hoc legal matters, from pharmaceutical regulation to the law on agency to the latest platform regulation. You’re comfortable with the uncomfortable - whether that’s taking English law principles you know and collaborating with our external experts to work out the Dutch law equivalent, or working in an entirely new area of law.
- Partnering with our Commercial teams to unlock new partnerships and business opportunities. One day you’re negotiating with a global QSR, the next you’re working closely with our operations team to figure out how to scale our legal processes to work for your favourite local gem.
- As part of a rotating squad, be the on-call lawyer for our marketing and communications teams. You’ll provide principled guidance on their latest creations and work as part of the team from start to finish to deliver exciting campaigns across a range of channels.
- Representing Legal in working groups and steering committees to find solutions to new challenges - whether that’s a change of law, a strategic project or the implementation of a new tech product. You’ll own the legal risks and be responsible for collaborating to find solutions to them.
- Supporting functions across Deliveroo including Tech, Marketing, People, Finance and Supply Chain to get the services and goods they need to run our business.
- Providing training and guidance to the business on a range of areas from ASA enforcement to competition law in commercial contracts. We’ll upskill you on technical topics you’re less familiar with, and you’ll quickly find your areas of expertise.
- Advocating for best practice and looking for ways to improve our operations. We are building our first Legal Operations function, and every lawyer in the team can play a part in finding opportunities to work more efficiently and effectively.
We need you to:
- Be passionate about food, tech and innovation.
- Be comfortable working in a fast paced, constantly changing environment.
- Take ownership of your matters. You’re a self starter who takes the initiative.
- Be highly motivated to find creative solutions - you don’t take no for an answer.
- Be a proven team player and a developing leader. Even our most junior team members are given the opportunity to hone their leadership skills.
- Be a confident communicator - you’re as happy describing risks to an Exec team member as you are to a grad in the marketing team, and you adapt your style to suit.
- Be pragmatic and commercially minded - you’re a true business partner.
- Have a growth mindset - in a business like ours, you’re always learning.
- Be a qualified solicitor (6 PQE +).
- Have an excellent academic record and ideally law firm experience providing commercial, strategic advice to international businesses. In-house experience too is a big plus.
- Have experience leading complex commercial transactions. You’re comfortable drafting and negotiating a range of commercial contracts, confident in free-drafting and happy to take the lead in a complex negotiation.
- Have experience across at least some of our core areas of responsibility - we don’t expect you to be a jack of all trades, but we look for subject matter experts across our areas so that we have access to the skills we need for whatever challenge we happen to face.
Who we are
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
At Deliveroo we’re striving to build London’s best engineering organisation, our ambition is to be the definitive food company, feeding people three times a day with great food from the World’s best-loved restaurants, all with an unparalleled level of convenience.
From distributed computing to large-scale system design, complex algorithms to beautiful user interfaces, we have teams working on every step of the journey, in real-time, to ensure we continue to offer our customers a growing selection of choice at the best price with a fantastic level of service.
We work with thousands of restaurants worldwide, from renowned local gems to your favourite chains, allowing them to open up a new revenue stream and reach new customers. Our restaurant partners, riders and customers are as passionate about food as we are, and if you want to make an impact on millions of users by solving some of the biggest technical challenges at great scale, come on board and join the ride.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexuality, disability, age, marital, parental or veteran status, or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups around.