Data Science at Deliveroo
At Deliveroo we have a world-class data science organisation, with a mission to enable the highest quality human and machine decision making. We work throughout the company - in product, business and platform teams to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Our team members use technical skills from the whole spectrum of data science: building analytical tools; informing decision making at all levels of the business via bespoke and automated analysis; running experiments; performing causal analysis; informing planning and prioritisation with robust impact estimates; building production machine learning and optimisation models; and upskilling the entire company in data literacy and data driven decision making.
Data Scientists and Machine Learning Engineers at Deliveroo report into our data science management team, and we have a strong, active data science community, with guest lecturers; a robust technical review process; a career progression framework; and plenty of opportunities to learn new things. We have team members from all over the world, and have a dedicated data science diversity committee.
Further, we have career pathways for both managers and individual contributors.
About the Role
In this role you’ll be designing, building and continuously improving the algorithmic and machine learning systems that power forecasting at Deliveroo. Our team is expanding rapidly, with the goal to provide accurate forecasting models across all Deliveroo domains and markets at the appropriate level of granularity and explainability. This work will help make informed strategic decisions and drive efficiency in financial planning, budgeting and staffing, which will result in a better experience for our riders, customers and partners.
You will be working in a cross-functional team alongside engineers, data scientists specialised in analytics and inference, and product managers to develop systems that make automated decisions at massive scale. Your team has a high degree of autonomy and works at some of the most interesting problems at the intersection of riders, consumers, and restaurants. We evaluate the performance of all our decision making machines via robust experimentation powered by our world class experimentation platform.
You are someone who knows the fundamentals of machine learning and/or operations research and knows when they should be applied. You are a keen problem solver, able to think deeply about a business problem and devise a well-thought-out and pragmatic algorithmic solution. And you get satisfaction from working with non-technical stakeholders and seeing your algorithms shipped and driving measurable impact to the business.
For this role you need to have the following:
- Ability to produce accurate forecasts across multiple business domains accounting for change in trends due to seasonality and other factors with focus on robustness and reusability
- Ability to produce simulations and what-if scenarios to assist with business cases and provide projections to support managerial decision making
- Strong foundation in fundamentals of machine learning and/or operations research
- Experience building intelligent decision making machines from scratch in industry, designing and building MVPs that quickly get results
- Experience with end-to-end productionisation of the models
- Proficient in exploratory data analysis, model/algorithm selection, model pipeline development
- Ability to see the bigger picture and understand how your insights are aligned with the direction the business is heading in. You should also be proactive in gathering input from relevant stakeholders to enhance the accuracy and relevance of analysis you produce
- Ability to take a fuzzy business objective and turn it into a problem that can be solved via machine learning and optimisation
- Comfortable working in a fast-moving environment with changing requirements
- Experience creating strong relationships with a wide range of stakeholders including finance, operations and product counterparts
- Great communication skills - in person, in writing, in code; to technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience mentoring junior colleagues
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups in an incredibly exciting space.