When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behindå the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 12 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
As a User Researcher working in our Delivery organisation, you’ll be working as part of a multidisciplinary team to scope, carry out, and communicate research projects answering all the critical questions the business has about our riders. The research and subsequent product, operations and marketing changes within Delivery impact the livelihood of 60,000 riders globally. This is important, meaningful work.
Whether it’s understanding what motivates them to work at particular times, unpicking the challenges they face when collecting food from restaurants or developing and testing new items of kit, you’ll be the voice of riders at Deliveroo, making sure their interests are represented in all aspects of our decision-making, but especially when it comes to our rider app.
So much of the rider experience is dictated by the context in which rider’s make deliveries. When interacting with the product riders are outdoors and facing the elements. Whether it’s the terrain, the weather or just being out on the road itself, these external factors make the design of the rider experience extremely challenging, but equally unique and interesting to work within.
In addition to being adept at a wide range of methodologies (from ethnography, depth interviews and diary studies to surveys and usability testing) you’ll also understand how to synthesise data from multiple sources into compelling, actionable insights and advocate for rider needs in a rapid-paced, high growth environment where change is the only constant.
Your primary stakeholders will be product directors and managers, designers, data scientists and developers within the rider product team, but you’ll also work closely with colleagues in operations and marketing, as well as international teams from all 12 of our global markets.
- Taking ownership of end-to-end project delivery - from understanding where our knowledge gaps are and building a quarterly research roadmap, to gathering the questions and hypotheses that shape a specific project, to planning and executing the research, commissioning and managing research vendors as needed, to analysing and sharing your findings with the team
- Working to provide insight into both formative and evaluative research questions through a mixed methods approach
- Working closely with the product team to understand research priorities and to build roadmaps which directly action research findings
- Working closely with the rider operations team to understand research priorities and to build roadmaps which directly action research findings
- Able to build a deep understanding of our business and form a view on whether actions we are taking are leading to movements in our Rider's and the public's perception of us
- Helping the business understand and empathise with the needs of our users (and especially our riders), so that everyone is able to make decisions in a user mindset
We value intellectual humility, an eagerness to learn and teach, and the ability to move quickly when needed. But above all else, we're looking for someone who is truly passionate about our riders and the changing world of work in which they operate.
This role is for you if you:
- Have extensive experience working in User Research, including time spent working in fast-paced teams within high-growth companies
- Can act as an ambassador for research and insight at Deliveroo, championing the importance of understanding not just what our riders do but why they do it
- Are confident planning and executing remote research, often internationally
- Are comfortable not just working on but coaching others through projects across the generative, formative and evaluative spectrum, with varying levels of scope and ambiguity
- Have an advanced mixed methods toolkit that you are continually updating and refining; your past work will demonstrate how and why to scale nuanced qualitative insight using quantitative approaches
- Are passionate about quality, rigour, standards and research ethics - both defining and upholding them
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-ups around.