Senior Engineering Manager (Automation) - Enterprise Technology
About the Role:
The Deliveroo Enterprise Technology team conceives, designs, builds and sustains the internal tech services powering Deliveroo’s internal teams globally, as we transform the way customers eat. We continually drive service improvements and love to automate.
As the Senior Automation Engineering Manager, you’ll be working to help 4000 (and scaling) employees, wherever they are, across Deliveroo be successful by automating business processes and infrastructure. This role holder will define, develop, nurture and communicate the automation strategy. The new team will have two focus areas that sometimes intersect: conventional Software Engineering (Python) and Robotic Process Automation (RPA) and you will be the ‘Go To’ leader for Automation.
People leadership is your driver and what motivates you in your role, surfaced through coaching, mentoring and collaboration. Your main day-to-day focus will be on your people, your stakeholders & customers and your products. Challenging the status quo is your norm.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Be accountable for the vision, mission, strategy, operational stability and innovation in the brand new Enterprise Automation domain.
- Build out a team to execute against the agreed plans
- Set project goals and continue to support and mentor your team
- Grow a diverse, highly-accomplished group of engineers and business domain specialists, gaining fantastic exposure to scaling a tech team at pace
- Create a learning environment for your team and act as a mentor for engineers and up and coming leaders
- Continuously engage and align with senior leadership, stakeholders and external strategic partners. Actively seek feedback from users and stakeholders and act accordingly.
- Helping to build effective, visible and measured team processes that enable high throughput
- Supporting the team to roadmap and engineer operational improvements
- You strive for collecting robust metrics, data, and monitoring information from your services, ensuring that if an issue arises, the team is alerted before our users notice.
- Ensuring high-quality Runbook documentation is created and maintained so that the Operations team may triage and resolve incidents.
- Acting as an escalation point for production issues that may occur outside of standard working hours
- Proven experience of building, leading, managing, mentoring and motivating a software engineering team including coaching leaders.
- You have been an automation software engineer (preferably Python) and are ready to take big technical decisions.
- Confident in effective stakeholder management, dealing with multiple stakeholders at varied levels of the organisation – subject matter experts, functional leads, C-Suite - and going well beyond transactional interactions to become a genuinely trusted partner for business partners.
- Experience of championing the adoption of automation technologies according to best fit, whether that be RPA, off the shelf platforms or creating new products from scratch.
- A methodical and logical approach to problem solving with a clear sense of ownership. We practice “You build it, You run it”.
- Skilled in setting and assessing objectives and planning structured work for teams and routinely improving working practices
- A curious mind that explores all and every possibility for continuous improvement and the ability to think and act conceptually, analytically and hands-on based on hard and soft data
- A good understanding of the full lifecycle of application management and common SaaS applications
- Confident in Agile practices across the full SDLC
- Excellent ability to develop and write proposals and reports backed with analysed and visualised data
We’re also interested in…
- Exposure to some of the following:
- Experience in creating insightful dashboards
- Good understanding of common business domains including Finance, HR, Procurement, Legal, IT
- Familiar with secure coding approaches