Director of Delivery Operations France
The Delivery Operations function is at the heart of the business – we ensure a seamless intermediation between restaurants, riders and customers, from start to finish, and offer an attractive and sustainable proposition to our riders.
The Operations team is responsible for all elements of the rider operations: the performance and growth of the France fleet; and also catering to thousands of our restaurant and convenience partners, a number which is continuously increasing.
This role, reporting directly to the General Manager of France, will have full ownership over a key function - Operations - and is pivotal in driving the business forward in the France market. It demands an analytical, people-centric and entrepreneurial leader with a track-record of managing large teams.
What you’ll be doing
- Lead the Operations strategy and execution for the business – develop Operations in the market to support the overall business plan, in line with the company’s vision and the global operations strategy. The role requires the ability to think strategically and act pragmatically, ensuring we constantly evolve, innovate and prioritise the right projects to meet business needs. You will clearly communicate a mission to the team and articulate and execute programs, focus on the key inputs and levers the team controls directly, and influence stakeholder teams for the rest.
- Oversee the operation for France – understand, analyse and drive our complex day-to-day logistics to ensure exceptional service levels. You’ll ensure we work with enough independent riders in the fleet, that supply matches demand, and that riders have all the support they need.
- Identify opportunities for improvement – constantly challenge status quo and look into scalable ways to improve our mechanisms and ways of working - for example, improve design of delivery zones, radii configurations, long term and short term sales and operations planning, review team structure and job responsibilities, optimise the flow of rider communications (for support and in the rider communities), review efficiency in fleet staffing / fleet payment structure etc.
- Use analytics to build a service that can sustainably scale – understand what needs to be improved to increase efficiency and effectiveness of our live operations - and what we need to build now for the future.
- Have a good understanding of the political and legal environment we operate in - ensure that our operations policies and processes align with our objective to be a good corporate citizen, while continuing to promote a pioneering, first-in-class proposition for our delivery fleet.
- Collaborate with HQ central departments – work with all the supporting departments to ensure the France market has its needs catered for and is coordinated with upcoming changes to product, processes and strategy.
- Manage, coach and lead the team – you’ll oversee the entire France operations team and lead the charge to ensure operational metrics are hit. As a leader of leaders, this will involve mentoring and developing the team managers and nurturing an environment where the management team can excel through encouragement and empowerment.
- Be a core member of the France leadership team - you will be a key leader in the executive team leading Deliveroo’s business working in close partnership with the other functional leaders and being exposed and contributing to all aspects of the business.
We are looking for someone with 5+ years of leadership experience, 10+ years of operations management or consulting experience in a hyper-growth environment with experience of managing large, multi-cultural teams.
You’ll also need to be:
- Inquisitive, curious and ready to challenge the status quo in a very fast-paced working environment.
- A confident critical thinker who can jump into different problems and come up with tactical recommendations.
- Confident in your communication skills with the ability to influence stakeholders across the organisation. Able to earn trust and respect with partner teams whilst keeping their own team and partner teams accountable to the highest standards.
- Driven by impact and willing to make change now – this is about prioritising correctly, making constant, quick iterations in real time to improve the business
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment, whilst remaining calm and composed at the same time (particularly during a crisis).
- Analytical and hands-on, with a passion for personally diving deep in data to identify root causes behind patterns – it’s important to be able to quickly identify issues, inefficiencies and understand how big these might be. You’ll need strong problem solving skills with great attention to detail.
- Strong enough with stats to separate the signal from the noise (as a lot of what we do is tested against the real world straight away).
- Experienced in hiring and building great teams on a large scale.
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We’re a technology driven company at the forefront of the most rapidly expanding industry in the world, so come and join us for the ride.
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.