When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London in 2004 and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. In 2013 Deliveroo was launched. Fast forward to 2021 and we operate in 12 markets with over 60,000 riders who deliver orders from 115,000 restaurants and grocers in over 500 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allows us to deliver our orders in around 30 minutes.
And we're just getting started.
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it's clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun
We are already a multi-billion pound company that has grown rapidly. Deliveroo came top in the FT's' list of Europe's fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte's 'UK Top 50' two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We’re a technology driven company at the forefront of the most rapidly expanding industry in the world, so come and join us for the ride.
The Operations function is at the heart of the business – it’s an end to end service that ensures a seamless delivery service for customers, as well as drive our internal logistics operations.
To do this, we work with a growing fleet of thousands of riders for which you’ll be responsible.
As we continue our phenomenal growth, the challenge to operate sustainably becomes ever harder. This role, reporting directly to the GM, will have full ownership over one of our key functions, and will help our markets achieve the step changes required to become the definitive food company.
- Coaching and leading our people – working with the heads of departments and their teams to ensure they perform at the best of their ability
- Leading the local strategy – understanding the cultural, legal and competitive landscape to ensure we’re constantly evolving, innovating and prioritising the right projects to meet business needs
- Overseeing the front-line operation for Italy – understanding, analysing and driving our complex day-to-day logistics to ensure exceptional service levels and growth. Along the way you’ll ensure we have enough riders in the fleet, that supply matches demand, and that riders have all the support they need
- Scaling up the rider fleet - continue to grow our existing fleet as the business grows
- Using analytics to build a platform that can sustainably scale – understanding what needs to be improved to increase efficiency and effectiveness of the fleet, and what we need to build now for the future
- Collaborating with product, procurement and other HQ central departments – working with all the supporting departments to ensure the Italian market has their needs catered for, and are coordinated with upcoming changes to product, processes and strategy. Being able and good to negotiate internally and to manage different stakeholders
- Identifying opportunities for improvement – e.g. improving design of delivery zones, optimizing the flow of rider comms (for support and in the rider communities), reviewing efficiency in fleet staffing, ensuring correct and prompt payment etc.
We are looking for someone with at least 5-8 years of operations management, or consulting experience. This role demands an analytical, people-centric and entrepreneurial leader with a track-record of managing large teams.
Some additional requirements include:
- Strong analytical skills to make data driven decisions for operational and economical improvements
- Fluent in Italian and English
- High level people management skills, must have experience working with people of different backgrounds/cultures;
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Confident communication skills for reporting to stakeholders at different levels, ability to influence people across the organisation
- Driven and confident personality, who can keep a cool head in a crisis
- Enough stats and excel skills, i.e. to separate the signal from the noise (since so much of what we do is tested against the real world straight away)
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare.
We offer to all our employees:
- Become one of the key employees of a fast-growing, exciting startup changing the food delivery landscape
- Open, respectful and fun company culture
- BIG Friday lunches – Deliveroo'd to the office of course!
- Gym and other allowances to counteract all the amazing food!
- Have a real impact on the company’s growth and evolution
- Work with people who love what they do every day
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.