The Strategy and Initiatives team help resolve the most difficult and important issues facing the business, and pursue our most exciting opportunities. You will work with senior leaders, integrate across functions, bring new insight, and drive pace.
UK & Ireland is the domestic region and the largest business for Deliveroo, and is at the forefront of strategic, commercial and operational innovation.
What you’ll be doing
In this role you will particularly work with the commercial leadership - thinking through some of our most important relationships with restaurants, how we help them succeed, optimise negotiations, and drive better commercial outcomes.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the formulation of the long term vision and strategy for the UK and Ireland, as well as structuring its successful implementation and execution
- Identify, prioritise, decide how to respond to, and execute on different opportunities as they emerge, particularly those that cut across functions are silos, are fast moving, or particularly challenging or important
- Supporting the most important restaurant deals, deal frameworks, and ways of thinking about different objectives for restaurants and Deliveroo
- Working with the Strategy and Finance function to manage the development of monthly, quarterly and annual objectives, forecasts, budget and headcount, and understanding drivers of over/under performance
- Focusing in particular on restaurants and restaurant selection
- 2-4 years’ experience in a highly analytical, fast-moving role - for example, at a leading management consultancy
- Exceptional problem-solving, from structuring issues to designing workstreams
- Proven communication skills with senior leadership or leadership experience in a fast-moving environment
- Strong quantitative analytical skills
- Ambitious, entrepreneurial, pragmatic, commercial, mindset, comfortable with ambiguity
- Able to lead cross-functional teams without authority
A strong candidate will also ideally have;
- Sector expertise, for example in restaurants and hospitality, online marketplaces, hyperlocal businesses etc.
- Strong commercial expertise: commercial optimisation, B2B sales, telesales and field sales optimisation
- SQL proficiency
- Background in econometrics or statistics (there is a separate data science team
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London in 2004 and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. In 2013 Deliveroo was launched. Fast forward to 2020 and we operate in 12 markets with over 60,000 riders who deliver orders from 60,000 restaurants in over 500 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allows us to deliver our orders in around 30 minutes.
And we're just getting started!
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it's clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion pound company that has grown rapidly. Deliveroo came top in the FT's' list of Europe's fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte's 'UK Top 50' two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups in an incredibly exciting space.