Our mission is to be the definitive food company. We are transforming the way the world eats by making food more convenient and accessible. We give people the opportunity to eat what they want, when and where they want it.
Our journey began with our founder Will, arriving in London and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite living in one of the world’s best cities for food. In 2013 he got on his bike and founded Deliveroo.
Fast forward to today and Deliveroo can be found in 12 markets, with over 100,000 riders delivering orders from over 140,000 restaurants and stores serving millions of customers in hundreds of cities worldwide.
Delivering great food from restaurants is how we started, but isn’t our only offering. We pioneered the delivery-only kitchen model, Deliveroo Editions, where we use data to identify gaps in the market and bring new brands and cuisines to new areas, giving people more choice in their local neighbourhood. And using our network and technology we provide a growing on-demand grocery service, which has not only brought incredible levels of convenience to our customers but has been a lifeline to so many during COVID.
We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces, and we do this in real-time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds, and the algorithms behind our marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
There are so many questions we are working on and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do we give low income families access to affordable healthy meals? How do we tackle waste? How can we scale our network to tens of millions of orders a day? What does a future layout of a restaurant look like? How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we take what we know about a customer and offer a personalised selection?
At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous. We are still a small team, making a very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, value autonomy and ownership, and we are always looking for new ideas.
The size of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. Only 3% of the global food market is online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of other industries, such as from travel (45%) and retail (10%), and it is clear we are at the very beginning of our journey. Despite being one of the world’s fastest growing multi-billion dollar companies, we’re only just getting started.
We hope you’re as excited about the scale of the opportunity as we are and, if you share our ambition, that you’ll join us and be part of this incredible story.
About the Department:
The Finance and Strategy team’s core mission is to help Deliveroo make more effective decisions. We aim to build long term company value, and we achieve this by setting company strategy, facilitating world-class execution, understanding and sharing the drivers of our business, delivering accurate financial results, all while managing risks and keeping an eye out for opportunities. Finally, it’s critical that we continually foster and evolve a team culture to allow for each team member to thrive and grow.
The Head of Strategy & Initiatives will be part of the France Management team and will report directly to France Finance & Strategy Director.
What you’ll be doing
In this role you’ll be helping to solve some of the most challenging and exciting strategic questions we have to answer to become the definitive food business. Your responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the formulation of the long term vision and strategic direction for France, as well as structuring its successful implementation and execution - acting as our internal strategy consultant.
- Working closely with the France General Manager and broader France leadership team to understand what is driving performance, and what we can do to further improve on an ongoing basis.
- Leading key strategic projects across France, coordinating across functions within the country teams and also central teams to make sure we deliver.
- Support the Finance & Strategy Director in managing the development of monthly, quarterly and annual forecasting, performance, budget and headcount processes.
For this role you must be tenacious, sophisticated and have the following skill set:
- Significant experience in top-tier strategy consulting, finance, banking. Relevant experience in a high growth / fast paced environment preferred
- Highly proficient in data analysis, a strong communicator and a trusted problem solver
- Significant experience working closely with senior leadership of leadership experience
- Able to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, and to lead cross-functional teams without authority
- Fluent in English
- Customer-centric, and good business acumen
- Advanced Excel skills and experience with SQL and data visualisation applications is a plus
- A leader and manager - prior experience in team management is preferred
- A builder - able to deliver approaches, processes, tools and structured change methodologies
- Effective communicator - able to disseminate ideas in a clear, concise manner to the relevant stakeholders within the Operations team, within the Deliveroo France team and with the wider Global team. Able to communicate to the highest level of the the organisation (C-level)
- Have an opinion - know your stuff and be prepared to debate it to arrive at the best solution for Deliveroo
- Inquisitive and forward-thinking - curious, thoughtful and happy to question the status-quo. Keeps pushing for further improvements
- Adaptable Fixer - enthusiastic, flexible & adaptable with the ability to remove barriers & bottlenecks via facilitation, creativity & resourcefulness. Don’t slavishly follow processes if they aren’t right
- Stakeholder management - this team only succeeds if it can influence and persuade
- Workload management - able to prioritise work by considering the impact and scale of the work, as well as managing time effectively to meet deadlines