When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started.
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
We are looking for an energetic and experienced Global Director of Consumer Partnerships to revamp and lead our Central Consumer Partnerships function at Deliveroo.
You will be responsible for defining the team’s vision, creating and owning our Global Consumer Partnerships strategy, ensuring stakeholder alignment and driving execution across the 12 markets we operate in. You will source, negotiate and drive execution of marketing and strategic partnerships across all verticals, involving marketing, product, tech and local GMs where needed.
You will be the face of consumer partnerships, both internally and externally - the trusted functional expert others turn to - working closely with our countryGMs, marketing and product teams.
A commercially astute leader who applies a data driven lens to evaluating partnerships will be successful in this role. You’ll need to be very strategic, easily understanding how a partnership fits with the Deliveroo business objectives; at ease building strategic roadmaps and innovative partnership models; a great relationship builder, both internally and externally; and results-driven, driving cross-functional teams to execution. Our organisational model is deeply cross-functional so strong collaboration skills are essential.
Consumer partnerships at Deliveroo is in its infancy, and this is an exciting opportunity to have a significant impact on one of the world’s fastest growing consumer companies, and tell one of the most compelling consumer partnerships success stories in tech.
What you’ll be doing
- Develop and own our consumer partnerships strategy globally, including defining our objectives, key priorities and success metrics
- Source, negotiate and drive execution of large scale opportunities and multi-market deals, across consumer acquisition and retention partnerships
- Generate and maintain pipeline of partnerships, manage inbounds, evaluate and prioritise potential opportunities and work closely with local markets to drive negotiation and execution
- Manage partners and relationships; build and scale partnerships to drive customer awareness, acquisition, retention and frequency
- Keep up to speed with market trends and competitor moves; identify innovative new opportunities and develop strategies that hit our objectives. Model out opportunities, create business cases and implement new partnership concepts.
- Drive execution across relevant functions in the business, including marketing, Legal, PR, Product/Tech, Finance, data science; influence product roadmap to include the needs of future partnerships requirements
- Develop “partnerships” playbooks and toolkits for local markets, and work closely with Finance, Data Science, Product teams to introduce tools and processes to systematically measure and assess effectiveness of partnerships, and report on results regularly
- 7+ years experience in a partnerships or business development senior role driving B2B2C opportunities, in a tech or start-up business
- You have a network of relevant contacts who trust you - you have worked with mass market consumer brands, particularly in the telco, banking/finance and gaming/entertainment space
- You are structured, organised, detail-oriented, with great project management skills
- You are articulate, with outstanding communication and influencing skills, and have experience presenting to Exec level
- You are results-oriented: you are driven and hard-working, striving for exceptional results. You have a proven track record of successfully signing deals and exceeding your targets
- You are a strategic thinker, communicator and negotiator - you have experience building a partnerships strategy from the grounds up. You easily understand how a partnership fits in with the Deliveroo business objectives and how it is aligned with the goals of a partner. You know how to marry the two and present the opportunity in an intelligent way.
- You are commercially astute - you have sharp instincts for the right opportunities but are equally comfortable modeling and articulating the P&L impact. You have strong analytical, financial and commercial acumen .
- You have a customer-centric mindset - this informs the choice of partners to collaborate with, as well as the execution of the partnership
- You like to build relationships - collaboration comes easily to you, whether internally or externally
- You are flexible and adaptable - you can be highly strategic but also get into the details where needed
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups in an incredibly exciting space.