When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 8years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 8 years and we operate in 12 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started.
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
About the Role:
The Deliveroo Enterprise Technology team conceives, designs, builds and sustains the IT services powering Deliveroo’s internal teams globally, as we transform the way customers eat. We continually drive service improvements and love to automate everything we can on our journey towards reliability.
As an Operations Manager, you will be responsible for leading the front-line team that proactively improves our End User Computing environments, facilitates operationalisation of business projects and provides feedback and support to adhere to Service Levels. The team’s main objective is to delight our Deliveroo colleagues by ensuring day-to-day incidents, problems and user requests are addressed promptly, and that services are running reliably, securely and are continually improved.
People leadership is your driver and what motivates you in your role, surfaced through coaching, mentoring and collaboration. Your main day-to-day focus will be on your people, your customers and your services. Your technical knowledge will enable you to make a valuable contribution to the team and to support them practically.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Leading and coaching an operationally-focused technical team
- Fostering collaboration within and between teams
- Helping to build effective and visible team processes that enable high throughput
- Supporting the team to roadmap and engineer operational improvements
- Providing timely support to key stakeholders and customers
- Identifying and addressing automation opportunities through coding and tools
- Ensuring high-quality Runbook documentation is created and maintained
- Acting as an escalation point for production issues that may occur outside of standard working hours
- Proven experience of leading, managing, mentoring and motivating an operations-focused technical team
- A methodical and logical approach to problem solving with a sense of ownership
- Driven, self-starter without requiring close supervision, collaborative, comfortable adapting to change and learning quickly in a dynamic organisation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Very good understanding of service management (ITIL) including Change Management, formal Service Levels and process design
- Excellent knowledge of End User platforms (laptop systems) at scale
- Significant automation experience.
We’re also interested in…
- Experience of influence and partnership, both with and without direct authority over people
- Proficiency with at least one programming language - preferably Python.
- Exposure to any of the following:
- ZenDesk / ServiceNow / Looker / Data Studio
- MacOS / Windows 10 internals/ Jamf/ InTune / Git
- Experience in creating insightful dashboards
- Experience of creating feedback loops
- Exposure to Agile, DevOps, SDLC, and SRE.
- Advanced ITIL certifications (v3 Expert / v4 Managing Professional)