At Deliveroo, the rider network is at the heart of our mission to build the definitive food company - in this role you will be too.
In this role, you will be challenged with continuing to innovate and advance the way Deliveroo builds and operates its marketplace for riders to ensure the best outcomes for customers, riders and restaurants. The Global Operations Strategy team sits at the intersection of strategy and operations, reporting to the Operations Strategy Director, within the Markeplce Organisation. We work on global projects that have a huge impact on the operations of Deliveroo. From initial strategic questions/ market sizing, we work through the data to drive to the right decisions and then are responsible for setting the implementation in action. As such the team is a great balance between high-impact strategic questions, and seeing the impact of your decisions. Given the fast growth of the business, and the senior stakeholder exposure, progression in the strategy team is fast. The team has a number of ex-consultants, given the highly relevant skillset, but anyone with a nose for finding problems and a structured approach to solving them is encouraged to apply.
Deliveroo operates one of the most complex businesses in the world. Our three-sided marketplace (of consumers, riders and restaurants) operates in real-time, serving millions of consumers hyper-locally in more than 600 towns across 12 countries. The geographical and demographic diversity of our consumers, as well as the competitive dynamics of the market, makes this a fascinating and intellectually challenging role. Operating the network at scale in a high growth environment is no mean feat, as such you will be faced with some of the most exciting problems across the food tech space. You will work closely with restaurant operations, customer care, product and business intelligence to drive cross-functional projects across a variety of business areas.
What you’ll be doing
You will work closely with the following stakeholders on project based work to build our strategy and execute against it:
- Central Operations and Commercial teams – to shape the customer proposition, and subsequently the requisite operating model, through a robust and analytical approach
- Local Operations teams – to drive and materialise continual enhancement in the rider proposition
- Tech teams – to inform and influence priorities and/or products that have the most impact on customer and rider experiences
- Central functions such as Finance, Policy and Legal – to ensure we can achieve our objectives profitably and within the constraints of evolving legal environments
We are looking for someone who is:
- IMPACT DRIVEN: You’ll work on high-impact global operations projects. These range from designing and rolling out new operational capabilities (e.g. accepting cash as a payment method) to enhancing our consumer offering (e.g. improving our scheduled orders process), or driving innovative solutions with Product teams to reduce the number of late orders.
- ANALYTICAL AND COLLABORATIVE: There will definitely be some number-crunching and / or data modelling involved, but your role will also be about stepping back – you’ll need to see the bigger picture and understand how your insights are aligned with the direction the business is heading in. You should also be proactive in gathering input from relevant stakeholders to co-create pragmatic solutions.
- DECISIVE AND INFLUENTIAL: You should be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment, and be comfortable with making quick yet calculated decisions, even in times of ambiguity. You also need to make recommendations of changes, which could (or perhaps, should) be game-changing and communicate them across the business persuasively. More importantly, you must have a strong desire to galvanise action within Deliveroo.
- Has 3+ years of experience in Consulting or a strategy-related function
- Has a deep desire to solve real world problems, who sees the beauty of data and structure and how important these are to understanding a problem and identifying effective solutions
- Can prioritise effectively as well as lead multiple project workstreams concurrently and independently
- Is adept at conducting 80/20 analysis, drawing out business insights from that analysis and presenting findings and recommendations persuasively
- Strong communication skills with the ability to influence others
- Solid Excel and modelling skills
- Can craft a concise memo to explain your ideas
- Effective PowerPoint skills in terms of speed and quality of output
- Has fun and enjoys working in a collaborative environment.
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We’re a technology driven company at the forefront of the most rapidly expanding industry in the world, so come and join us for the ride.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups in an incredibly exciting space.