Senior Data Scientist, On-Demand-Convenience
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges, and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 7 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward a few years and we operate in 12 countries with over +68k riders who deliver orders from more than 165k restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants, and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real-time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allows us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
We're just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it's clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
Data Science at Deliveroo
At Deliveroo we have a world-class data science organization, with a mission to enable the highest quality human and machine decision making. We work throughout the company - in product, business, and platform teams to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Our team members use technical skills from the whole spectrum of data science: building analytical tools; informing decision making at all levels of the business via bespoke and automated analysis; running experiments; performing causal analysis; informing planning and prioritization with robust impact estimates; building production machine learning and optimization models, and upskilling the entire company in data literacy and data-driven decision making.
Data scientists at Deliveroo report into our data science management team, and we have a strong, active data science community, with guest lecturers; a robust technical review process; a career progression framework; and plenty of opportunities to learn new things. We have team members from all over the world, and have a dedicated data science diversity committee. Further, we have career pathways for both managers and individual contributors.
About the Role
In this role, you will work with stakeholders across the on-demand convenience team and the wider commercial org, to drive our on-demand groceries proposition through data and insights. You will work on solving complex business problems, build tools that simplify the way teams work, spot unexplored opportunities, challenge the status quo, and work closely with the wider leadership team across the commercial and finance orgs to improve our strategy in the on-demand convenience space.
- You are an experienced, hands-on individual with strong technical skills (SQL, Python / R, and data visualization tools such as Looker), critical reasoning, and experience working in the on-demand groceries sector.
- You will develop both your business acumen and technical background through training and exposure to senior executives.
- Work with stakeholders in the on-demand convenience team and the wider commercial team, helping solve our biggest business problems with clear insights based on data and analysis.
- Challenge existing assumptions and build our knowledge around on-demand groceries customer proposition, encompassing analysis on selection, pricing, and menu quality.
- Partner with product managers and business partners to ensure that product teams are rigorously data-driven.
- Be creative and pragmatic in identifying and quantifying opportunities for big impact within your product or business area.
- Bring scientific rigor, entrepreneurial thinking, and passion to tell actionable stories with data.
- Strong analytical mindset and critical thinking.
- A customer-centric mindset, who always thinks about the impact of products/services on customers as well as direct business KPIs
- Experience working within the on-demand groceries sector
- Ability to communicate complex findings to key stakeholders in a simple way, with excellent data visualization and storytelling skills.
- Ability to see the bigger picture and understand how your insights are aligned with the direction the business is heading in. You should also be proactive in gathering input from relevant stakeholders to enhance the accuracy and relevance of analysis you produce
- Deep knowledge of SQL and another programming language such as Python or R.
- The sort of personality who thrives in a fast-moving and quickly changing environment. You should jump for joy when people bring you new ideas or data, and love engaging people across the company at all levels with your enthusiasm for making positive change.
- Experience in a fast-moving startup culture.
- Experience running experiments
- Experience with ETL and query optimization.
- Understanding of machine learning techniques.
- Experience with Git.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritize their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away, and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgment when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion, or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest-growing startups in an incredibly exciting space.