Director, Consumer Strategy
At Deliveroo, consumers are at the heart of our mission to build the definitive food company.
The Director, Consumer Strategy will have the exciting opportunity to join our newly-formed Consumer org (combining consumer strategy, value proposition and marketing) at a nascent stage.
Reporting to the VP of Consumer, your remit will be wide-ranging: from answering questions such as which new customer segments and food occasions we should prioritise going after, and how , all the way through to devising ways of measuring success for the consumer org, defining the right metrics and driving actions to improve them from teams across the entire business.
Alongside helping to shape and set the direction of the Consumer org, you’ll also rally the company around the consumer strategy, and lead implementation across all functions from commercial to product and technology. You’ll be driving consumer strategy globally, will build the tools and platforms the business needs to understand our consumers better than anyone else and will develop the most compelling and competitive proposition for them. Success in this role will require being able to dive deep into the data and the details, but, crucially, to also be able to contextualise analysis and to see the bigger picture. You need great empathy, to put yourself in the shoes of both our consumers and our internal teams, and to be able to motivate and influence so as to effectively advocate for consumer interests across the business and to drive change where it is needed.
Deliveroo operates one of the most complex businesses in the world. Our three-sided marketplace (of consumers, riders and restaurants) operates in real-time, serving millions of consumers hyper-locally in more than 600 towns across 12 countries. The geographical and demographic complexities of our consumers, as well as the interplay of the on- and offline in food service and the competitive dynamics of the market, makes this a fascinating and intellectually challenging role. With a unique opportunity to join the newly formed Consumer org at an early stage and to have an outsized impact on the trajectory of a business that is growing at a breakneck pace, the role is also set to be incredibly rewarding.
What you’ll be doing
The Consumer org is new to Deliveroo and is still in its formation. These are some of the things you could be leading and driving:
- Shaping the Consumer org, it’s remit and the way it works with other teams, as well as building out the team.
- Define success for the consumer org; define metrics and implement these across the business
- Formulate our consumer strategy, answering questions such as which consumer segments and occasions we should prioritise (e.g. group order, gifting, dieting) and why.
- Define our value proposition and differentiation strategy: What will we differentiate on vs our competition? How will we differentiate what we offer different customers, in different places at different times?
- Make the strategy a reality by aligning everyone behind it, winning the necessary resource and driving initiatives through launch and beyond.
- In addition to actively driving change for consumers, advocate for consumers more generally throughout the business, ensuring teams deeply understand and prioritise their interests.
- At least 8 years of experience overall in a combination of consultancy, strategy or operational roles, including:
- At least 2 years operational experience leading and driving strategy and initiatives at scale in a fast-paced, high-growth environment at a senior level
- At least 2 years experience, with demonstrably strong progression at a top-tier consultancy, or equivalent experience showing a strong track record of problem-solving and business analysis in a variety of contexts
- Adaptability and comfort with ambiguity
- Creativity and an innovative mindset, combined with realism and executional pragmatism
- Ability to seamlessly switch between the big picture and the details, striking the right balance between time spent on each
- Structured thinking, commercial acumen, and analytical excellence to tackle complex and ill-defined problems
- Successful track record influencing stakeholders at all levels of the org, including front-line teams and the exec, as well as collaborating with both HQ teams and country teams and experience doing so in a matrixed organisation
- Strong communication skills, across all forms and media
Preferred, but not required:
- Operational experience involving consumer strategy, consumer experience and/or go-to-market strategy at scale in a high-performing consumer product or service organisation.
- Experience in a tech company or tech-driven business.
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We’re a technology driven company at the forefront of the most rapidly expanding industry in the world, so come and join us for the ride.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups in an incredibly exciting space.