As the scale and complexity of Deliveroo grows, we’re looking for a commercially-minded Manager, Promotional Strategy & Initiatives to join our newly formed Central Promotions function at Deliveroo.
You will be responsible for leading and driving a set of strategic initiatives related to promotional strategy. You will also contribute to the creation and evolution of Deliveroo’s promotional and discounting strategy, across both Deliveroo-funded and Restaurant/Partner-funded promos and discounts. You will help set set our experimentation agenda, helping us achieve a deeper understanding of the types of promo mechanics and discounts we should run to drive customer growth, improve value-for-money perception (or drive other key objectives), whilst also being financially sustainable.
You will be an integral part of our newly formed Promo squad, a cross-functional team composed of promo business owners, a product manager, engineers and data scientists who jointly set their mission, quarterly objectives and work together to achieve them.
Success in this role will require being a confident self-starter, applying a data-driven lens to solving challenges in that space, and driving to fast execution. Our organisational model is centred on commercial teams having a deep cross-functional partnership with product management and technical teammates, and so strong collaboration skills are essential.
What you’ll be doing
- Drive a set of strategic initiatives: frame the problems, approach, priorities, success metrics and report on progress.
- Recommend changes to Deliveroo’s promotional and discounting strategy based on your analysis
- Craft go-to-market strategies for newly launched promos
- Work with the team to articulate programs of experimentation to deepen our understanding of offers, promotions and discounts and the role they play
- Work with Data Science to analyse effectiveness of different offer types/discount depth and mechanics
- Understand role of promos on consumer’s perception of price and value for money
- Understand impact on incrementality
- Work with Product Management to input to technical roadmap definition and prioritisation
- Create governance processes and tighter oversight of Deliveroo-funded discounting budget to driver smarter investments
- Act as a best-practice center for Deliveroo-funded vouchers
- Introduce / chair voucher approval process
- Manage in-market stakeholders requests, coordinate to get input
- Recommend changes to vouchering budget
- Work with Finance, Data Science, Product teams to introduce tools and processes to systematically measure and assess effectiveness of discount-related campaigns
- Perform regular competitive benchmarking on offers/discounts/merchandising
- 4+ years work experience, ideally combining experience in strategy/consulting with relevant operational experience in the product marketing or promotional strategy/discounting space
- Strong analytical skills and financial acumen
- Prior experience working with product/design/insights teams
- Excellent project management and communication skills including the ability to influence stakeholders
Preferred but not required
- Strong knowledge of marketplace businesses/ experience in a promotionally-driven high-growth business environment or start-up
- Experience managing/working with multi-country teams
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started.
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups in an incredibly exciting space.