As the scale and complexity of Deliveroo grows, we’re looking for an experienced and motivated Senior Director of Global Pricing and Promotions to lead and expand our Central Consumer Pricing and Central Promotions functions at Deliveroo. Your remit will be wide-ranging: from devising our global pricing and promotions strategy to building solid foundations and processes to supporting the execution of that strategy to managing a wide cross-functional team. You will report directly to the VP of Global Pricing & Loyalty.
You and your team will be responsible for building and executing on Deliveroo’s consumer pricing strategy globally. You will use all pricing levers at your disposal to create a coherent, competitive and sustainable consumer pricing proposition, enabling us to meet our company objectives while improving value perception. You will have ownership of our existing consumer-facing pricing levers including consumer facing delivery fees and service fees, minimum order values and small order fees, consumer promotions as well as any how price value is presented/merchandised on our site.
On the promotions side, your team will leverage continuous experimentation to achieve a deeper understanding of the types of promo mechanics and discounts we should run to drive customer growth, improve value-for-money perception (or drive other key objectives), whilst also being financially sustainable.
As the Global Director, you will be co-leading our Pricing and Promotions squads, two cross-functional teams composed of pricing and promo managers, product managers, engineers and data scientists who jointly set their mission, quarterly objectives and work together to achieve them.
You will also need to hire teams of Pricing Managers/analysts and Promo Managers to craft and execute your go-to-market strategies and provide local market support (e.g. using existing pricing or promo levers to drive country objectives)
Success in this role will require being a confident self-starter, applying a data-driven lens to solving challenges in that space, and driving to fast execution. Our organisational model is centred on commercial teams having a deep cross-functional partnership with product management and technical teammates, so strong collaboration skills are essential.
What you’ll be doing
- Define the pricing strategy and principles for setting and optimising consumer fees and food pricing, across restaurants and on-demand convenience
- Work with your team to create a consumer-centric promotional strategy and framework; align stakeholders on objectives, approach, key priorities and success metrics; and lead execution
- Create tighter oversight of Deliveroo-funded discounting budget to driver smarter investments
- Build out the pricing and promo team at Deliveroo. Hire top talent .
- Work closely with the local markets to craft pricing and promo tactics adapted to their competitive landscapes and strategic objectives
- Work with Data Science to develop playbooks for setting prices in each of Deliveroo’s local neighbourhoods for the above defined levers.
- Develop go-to-market plans (including communication strategies) for all pricing related features/ pricing changes
- Work with Design/Product to optimise the price value communication and merchandising (including optimal placements, copy, visual identity)
- Working closely with the Rider (Delivery) function to drive the rider side of pricing (to maximise value creation).
- Work with Product Management to input to technical roadmap definition and prioritisation
- At least 5 years building and managing pricing teams in high velocity commercial environments at scale
- Strong analytical skills and financial acumen
- Prior experience working with data-scientists and product teams
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to influence stakeholders to adopt new tools and processes;
- Good comfort level with probability, statistics, and designing/implementing models and algorithms
Preferred but not required
- Strong knowledge of marketplace businesses/ experience in a high-growth business environment or start-up a plus
- Experience with consumer pricing psychology a plus
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started.
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups in an incredibly exciting space.