About the Role
At Deliveroo we have a world class data science organisation, with a mission to enable the highest quality human and machine decision making. We work throughout the company - in product, business and platform teams. We are uniquely placed to connect and calibrate quantitative decision making throughout Deliveroo, and have strong relationships with our business partners.
Our team members use technical skills from the whole spectrum of data science: building analytical tools; informing decision making at all levels of the business via bespoke and automated analysis; running experiments; performing causal analysis; informing planning and prioritisation with robust impact estimates; building production machine learning and optimisation models; and upskilling the entire company in data literacy and data driven decision making.
Data scientists at Deliveroo report into our data science management team, and we have a strong, active data science community, with guest lecturers; a robust technical review process; a career progression framework; and plenty of opportunities to learn new things. We have career pathways for both managers and individual contributors.
Our data scientists come from many disciplines including mathematics, statistics, economics/econometrics, physics, psychology, finance, computer science, operations research, cognitive neuroscience and engineering. Some are formally trained in data science, some are not. We have team members from all over the world, and have a dedicated data science diversity committee.
As a data scientist at Deliveroo, your main goal is business impact. You will help answer questions like:
- Which markets/cities should we enter next?
- How should we improve our consumer, rider, and restaurant apps?
- How can we incentivise good rider behaviour?
- What is the business impact of exclusive deals we have with restaurants?
- How do we best optimise our compensation policy to keep our customers happy and ordering with Deliveroo?
- How does a new competitor’s entry into one of our markets affect our growth ambitions?
- Can the food delivery market sustain multiple players?
- What are the trade-offs we face when choosing between growth and profitability? How should we decide between them?
- How should we make investment decisions company-wide?
- How should we decide which rider to assign to a given order?
- Which restaurants should we show a given customer?
- What is the optimum selection and variety of restaurants in a particular area?
- What impact do online reviews have?
- How will a change in the user interface affect customer choice behaviour?
The work you will do will have a direct, measurable impact on the bottom line of the company.
- Always curious and willing to learn new skills
- Great communication skills - in person, in writing, in code; to technical and non-technical audiences
- A problem solver with a deep analytical mindset
- Ability to think creatively and insightfully about business problems
- A critical thinker with very strong attention to detail
- Proficiency with analytical tools like R/Python and familiarity with SQL
- A pragmatic, flexible approach, where you most care about achieving impact
- Excellent people skills — you’ll be meeting with stakeholders to translate business needs into data science problems
Data Science at Deliveroo
We are a small team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups in an incredibly exciting space.