About the Role:
Programme management is the glue of engineering and we are looking for someone to work across teams responsible for our key platforms that Deliveroo builds its applications on. The role will be a mix of inward facing towards the teams and their success and outward facing towards the rest of engineering delivering engineering reliability programme and occasional change driving programmes.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Identify and use technical acumen to solve group level challenges
- Create, develop and support standards and processes required to produce the deliverables from the team and to work effectively with other teams, as well as assisting in setting it short term project teams up for rapid success
- Build positive, trusting relationships through consistent, on-time delivery of commitments and effective communication
- Be accountable for key supplier management, ensuring contract renewals working with service owners and partner teams as necessary. Track ongoing spend of these suppliers against predictions and budget commitments.
- Contribute to both long term and near term goals planning
- Drive and mature team rituals working with the Engineering Manager and tech leads to have agendas for these
- Be part of the teams - take turns running retros
- Work with engineers, stakeholders and Engineering Manager(s) to build the roadmap, breaking this down into a backlog, for production teams and a small number of ad hoc groups
- Ensure on track for delivery of roadmap via removing blockers for the team e.g. dependencies of other teams as well as surfacing risk early
- Regularly communicate the group’s progress to key stakeholders
- Run team planning sessions - ensure teams are working on the highest priority items
- Identifying where we can improve our process and working with the Engineering Manager(s) and the engineers to implement changes
- Experience implementing strategies and processes from scratch
- Experience managing multiple facets of a large-scale project
- Ability to understand software engineering fundamentals with exposure to distributed systems
- Experience working in technical program management, for large scale tech companies
- Proven experience working within startup and early life companies
- Influential member of a highly integrated team composed of both technical and non-technical members
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London in 2004 and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. In 2013 Deliveroo was launched. Fast forward to 2020 and we operate in 12 markets with over 60,000 riders who deliver orders from 60,000 restaurants in over 500 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allows us to deliver our orders in around 30 minutes.
And we're just getting started.
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it's clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion pound company that has grown rapidly. Deliveroo came top in the FT's' list of Europe's fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte's 'UK Top 50' two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups in an incredibly exciting space.