The role of the Restaurant Strategy team is to set the vision for the restaurant side of the Deliveroo marketplace and position Deliveroo as the strategic partner of choice for our restaurant partners. This role will be responsible for developing a deep understanding of our partners’ needs, determining where we can have the greatest impact and working across internal teams to execute on this. As part of ensuring success and adoption of these offerings, this team will need to consider how to capture restaurant feedback, as well as how we communicate with restaurants to help them understand how Deliveroo can meet their needs and drive restaurant satisfaction. The team will also be responsible for developing our pricing, data and servicing strategies. The role will require close collaboration with all the cross-functional and cross- market teams who drive our relevance and engagement with restaurants and also for identifying synergies with our consumer and rider teams.
What you’ll be doing
- Develop deep understanding of restaurant needs, including capturing feedback from local markets to develop a clear commercial prioritisation for our Restaurant product teams and other internal stakeholders
- Develop data and insights to identify opportunities for improvement, and track performance over time
- Use understanding of restaurant needs and the scale of opportunities to prioritize key levers that can deliver value to partners
- Build playbooks, tools and processes to solve problems (for example, what information do we need to provide restaurants to increase app ratings, what is the most effective way to do that, and at what point do we terminate the relationship)
- Build MVPs or business cases for new restaurant tooling (for example, Collection, Customer Insight, Marketing tools) and work with the product team to develop these into fully fledged solutions
- Work with local teams to ensure adoption of playbooks and tools, and track performance versus objectives
- In depth understanding of restaurant operations and challenges and a strategic mindset
- Can build “stuff” - Solid track record of identifying, scoping and delivering customer centric solutions with a detail-oriented yet flexible approach to problem solving. Knows what great looks like and builds to scale so that solutions will be relevant for a multiple of the current size of the business
- Autonomy with a strong analytical approach — exceptional ability to join quantitative and qualitative approaches to frame and synthesise complex business problems into clear, concise and easy-to-understand solutions
- Strong written and oral communication skills, with an eye for detail and a passion for presenting data and information in clear, compelling ways to communicate concepts and desired outcomes. Ability to influence multiple stakeholders internally as well as externally
- A deeply curious and avid growth mindset, constantly looking for ways to improve and creatively solve problems - both the big strategic things, as well as the smaller quick wins
- 10+ years experience, ideally strategy consulting and/or restaurant operations
- Ambitious, entrepreneurial, pragmatic, commercial, highly analytical, clear communicator, comfortable with ambiguity
- Excel at solving unstructured problems
- Able to lead cross-functional teams without authority
- Evidence of strong analytical skills
- Successful track record operating, partnering with and influencing stakeholders including at the executive level
- Experience building, developing and managing high-performing teams
- Strong knowledge of the restaurant industry or in any customer-obsessed business is a plus
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London in 2004 and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. In 2013 Deliveroo was launched. Fast forward to 2020 and we operate in 12 markets with over 60,000 riders who deliver orders from 60,000 restaurants in over 500 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allows us to deliver our orders in around 30 minutes.
And we're just getting started.
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it's clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion pound company that has grown rapidly. Deliveroo came top in the FT's' list of Europe's fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte's 'UK Top 50' two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We’re a technology driven company at the forefront of the most rapidly expanding industry in the world, so come and join us for the ride.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups in an incredibly exciting space.