At Deliveroo, it is our mission to build the definitive food company that makes food more convenient and accessible for all. In order to do that, we’re building a company where everyone can belong and grow.
One of Deliveroo's core values: We celebrate difference
In this position and as a member of the People leadership team, you will lead Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) at Deliveroo: setting the strategy, owning the roadmap and ensuring we meet our objectives both internally (creating a company where everyone can belong) and externally (using our global footprint and commercial partnerships to effect wider change) - across 12 countries and for more than 2,500 employees.
We’ve already taken some exciting steps forward towards our goal, and are now ready to hire our first dedicated lead. This is an exciting opportunity to join a company still early in its journey: to make an enormous impact on the company and to make a significant contribution to our communities.
You’ll report to the Chief People Officer and will work with stakeholders at all levels, building on top of an existing platform of strong buy-in and support.
What you'll be doing
- Deliver results internally: Develop and oversee D&I strategy and execution in collaboration with senior leadership and departmental heads globally. Partner with the executive team on developing a global strategy, decision-making, communications and initiative implementation.
- Develop insights and transparency: Review, design and execute on improvements to D&I data trends, defining and assessing key metrics and deliverables. Design a metrics-based approach and processes to create insight to improve decision-making and accountability around our D&I commitments and investments.
- Promote our values externally: Identify ways we can use our commercial footprint and three-sided marketplace to promote our D&I values and serve our communities, drive initiatives. Establish connections with external networks, groups and organizations to further Deliveroo’s D&I objectives around awareness, enablement and accessible pathways into the business.
- Create accessible pathways into the business: Collaborate across and partner with talent development, talent acquisition, people operations and employee relations to fulfil D&I objectives and ensure our solutions scale globally. Partner with Talent Acquisition and Communications to establish Deliveroo as an employer of choice for underrepresented groups.
- Engage employee communities: Oversee, support and ensure resourcing for Deliveroo’s employee resource groups and communities.
- Support and develop: Design and implement professional growth and development initiatives to support equitable development of underrepresented employees.
- Substantial experience driving diversity and inclusion programs.
- 5+ years experience building and leading large-scale programs and projects, including building and launching initiatives from the ground-up.
- Experience working directly with senior stakeholders cross-functionally across all disciplines.
- Experience in planning and developing strategic plans and initiatives.
- Adept at working with data to inform strategy and set and measure goals.
- Proven experience organising and directing multiple teams and departments.
- Demonstrable leadership experience and a strong strategic mindset.
Preferred, but not required:
- Management experience is preferred, but not essential.
You'll be a great fit if you:
- Are a deeply curious and avid learner, constantly looking for ways to improve and creatively solve problems - both the big strategic things, as well as the smaller quick wins.
- Are excited by ambiguity, and thrive in an environment that provides high levels of autonomy.
- Are driven by seeing the achievements and progression of others you support and partner with.
- Can context-switch between a high level strategic mindset and detailed execution orientation seamlessly.
- Are excited to help build something amazing and share it with the world.
Our mission is to be the definitive food company.
We are transforming the way the world eats by making food more convenient and accessible. We give people the opportunity to eat what they want, when and where they want it.
Our journey began with our founder Will, arriving in London and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite living in one of the world’s best cities for food. In 2013 he got on his bike and founded Deliveroo.
Fast forward to today and Deliveroo can be found in 12 markets, with over 100,000 riders delivering orders from over 140,000 restaurants and stores serving millions of customers in hundreds of cities worldwide.
Delivering great food from restaurants is how we started, but isn’t our only offering. We pioneered the delivery-only kitchen model, Deliveroo Editions, where we use data to identify gaps in the market and bring new brands and cuisines to new areas, giving people more choice in their local neighbourhood. And using our network and technology we provide a growing on-demand grocery service, which has not only brought incredible levels of convenience to our customers but has been a lifeline to so many during COVID.
We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces, and we do this in real-time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds, and the algorithms behind our marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
There are so many questions we are working on and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do we give low income families access to affordable healthy meals? How do we tackle waste? How can we scale our network to tens of millions of orders a day? What does a future layout of a restaurant look like? How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we take what we know about a customer and offer a personalised selection?
At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous. We are still a small team, making a very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, value autonomy and ownership, and we are always looking for new ideas.
The size of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. Only 3% of the global food market is online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of other industries, such as from travel (45%) and retail (10%), and it is clear we are at the very beginning of our journey. Despite being one of the world’s fastest growing multi-billion dollar companies, we’re only just getting started.
We hope you’re as excited about the scale of the opportunity as we are and, if you share our ambition, that you’ll join us and be part of this incredible story.
Workplace & Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups in an incredibly exciting space.