When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
We’re looking for a detail-oriented and ambitious property manager to join our editions expansion team and play a critical role in supporting our global expansion efforts, along with oversight of part of our current estate.
- Partner with leadership and strategy to identify target locations for property search
- Define property search criteria / checklist
- Source properties to build a strong pipeline of opportunities
- Obtain key technical information and assess against internal criteria - conduct site surveys and partner with the construction team to assess overall technical conditions to determine suitability
- Coordinate with planning advisors and consultants; manage planning application process
- Manage end-to-end process from defining location strategy and sourcing through lease completion
- Obtain necessary approvals and manage lease signing / completion process
- Ensure seamless handover to the construction team post-completion
Contract Management & Negotiation:
- Partner with strategy team to assess financial feasibility of new properties in line with our investment budget
- Negotiate initial deal and submit offers that maximise business value
- Drive all contract negotiations, inclusive of rental rates, lease length and breaks, and all associated commercial terms
- Outline and agree heads of terms in line with our standard business requirements
- Partner with our legal team to negotiate the lease agreement through completion
- Identify and mitigate risk to ensure we’re making the best long-term decisions for Deliveroo
Property Asset / Estate Management
- Create and maintain strong Landlord-Tenant relations
- Track lease expiry dates for the current estate and ensure renewals are processed in a timely manner, negotiating new terms as required
- Manage rent review process, lease breaks, terminations, and relocations, as needed
- Maintain database of contract information for the estate, ensuring easy access to lease agreements and good documentation of lease terms, conditions, and end dates
- Ensure the property portfolio is maintained to a high standard
- Ensure systems and processes are in place to facilitate the transparent and effective management as the portfolio grows
- Partner with the construction & maintenance teams to ensure that any site works are compliant with contract terms
- 3+ years of property acquisition, property surveyor, and/or asset management experience
- Experience leading multiple property deals in parallel
- Experience managing a multi-site estate
- Detailed understanding of Landlord & Tenant legislation
- Excellent UK property market knowledge (international experience a plus)
- Existing contacts in the UK property market (international contacts a plus)
- Proactive mindset and ability to work autonomously and with a team
- Exceptional stakeholder management / relationship skills
- Demonstrated experience negotiating successful property deals
- Exceptional communication and alignment skills
Life at Deliveroo
We are a small team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.