Job title: Finance & Strategy Manager
Location: London, UK
Closing Date: 18 February 2020
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
We’re looking for talented people to join our expanding Finance & Strategy department. As the scale and complexity of Deliveroo grows every day, we need dynamic, entrepreneurial, analytical thinkers to support in optimising decision making and drive quick, profitable growth. This is a perfect opportunity to become part of a team responsible for driving the strategic direction of the business.
You will provide strategic fire-power on the biggest issues facing Deliveroo's New Businesses, from identifying priority issues, to structuring projects and driving through diagnoses, possible solutions, and actions. Our New Businesses unit is the home of Deliveroo’s fast-growing, innovative and entrepreneurial ventures, at different stages of maturity, including our world-leading Editions kitchens, Deliveroo at Work, Virtual Brands, Convenience offerings, restaurant procurement, and broader innovation. Topics will have a strong growth and commercial focus, including strategy, product market fit and value proposition development, go-to-market, customer segmentation, and salesforce effectiveness. This role is perfect for someone who enjoys solving difficult problems, can partner effectively with senior stakeholders, and is highly analytical.
The role will involve:
- Running end-to-end "deep dives" on the most important topics, working with Associates and Business Intelligence Analysts embedded in the business
- Understanding and influencing the underlying drivers of performance to help drive the top and bottom line
- Scenario modelling and business casing for multiple initiatives and layering this into financial planning
- Providing pro-active, insightful, high quality analysis to support decision making
- Partnering with the various teams to formulate and appraise appropriate strategies for their respective areas and support delivery of the overall business strategy and long-range plans
- Excellent strategic thinking, including structuring complex problems, prioritising effectively, and driving to persuasive and actionable recommendations
- Project management, including scoping, designing workstreams, directing and motivating others, and delivering to deadlines
- Relevant content knowledge for our growth-stage businesses. This could include experience in growth roles, sales and marketing functions, business development, innovation, and/or strategy
- Advanced complex financial modelling and analytical skills (advanced Excel required, SQL a bonus)
- Experience influencing stakeholders at various levels, especially at C-level
- 3+ years of data analysis in a strategic or commercial role (would suit someone who has experience working in consultancy or for a high growth tech finance team)
Benefits & Diversity
- A development culture and expectations of rapid growth
- Work with people who love what they do every day, in an energetic and entrepreneurial culture
- Amazing HQ office located in central London with collaborative working spaces
- Discounted private healthcare, pension contributions, childcare voucher scheme, cycle-to-work scheme, charitable giving, subsidised gym membership
- Maternity, paternity, and shared parental leave
- Prayer room, nap room, and a stunning rooftop garden
- Learning resources and support for attending/speaking at conferences
- Friday lunches from our very own restaurant partners
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-ups around.