Job title: People Strategy and Development Manager
Location: London, UK
Closing date: 4 December 2019
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allows us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
- We’re assembling a diverse, passionate, highly skilled team and we’re looking for an experienced generalist who has a people centric mindset. You will become a go-to person for global people experience and development at out HQ office. This role reports into the Director of People Strategy and Development
- You will:
- contribute to the development of a multi-year people experience and development strategy across 3,000 team members and 13 markets
- Define and implement new global initiatives, phasing and piloting as necessary to gather feedback for successful global rollout - this means getting your hands dirty
- Collect feedback on current initiatives, build out plans to improve them and implement.
- Investigate new tools and platforms to improve people's experience
- Work across functions to tailor to people's needs while not losing sight of central principles
- Have a strong ROI-based approach to investment in order to ensure stakeholder buy-in of large L&D spend
- Need to be able to build the programmes and initiatives from scratch, not run a machine that is already built
- You thrive in fast paced environments and are comfortable with switching between operational and strategic;
- You’re comfortable with ambiguity and can make sense of the grey;
- You’re comfortable with working within a matrix organisation
- You’re awesome at building strong relationships and have great communication skills, with a strong ability to manage stakeholders at all levels
- You have a strong ability to influence and generate buy-in/adoption for new initiatives
- You have excellent organisation and project management skills
- You have excellent written and verbal communication
- You can navigate a new function and problem solve from first principles in a new environment
- Minimum of 5 years consulting or similar with experience in planning and project management preferred
- You have an MBA or similar educational background
- You have experience working in a start up
- You have strong numerical and analytical skills
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.