When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
Product at Deliveroo
Product Management at Deliveroo takes many forms, and involves many facets. We’re a consumer-facing brand, with websites and mobile apps which help customers find great quality food which can be brought to them to satisfy their needs any time day or night. We’re a logistics company, directing a fleet of riders around major cities across the globe using a dedicated native app. We’re a partner to restaurants, who see us as a way to unlock access to new customers and thus maximize the revenue of their existing business. And we’re a home for numerous internal teams building internally facing tools for customer service, finance, and others, to keep the operation afloat.
Product managers at Deliveroo operate with a strong degree of strategic autonomy. You’ll partner closely with peers across engineering, data science, product design and content design to identify needs-driven solutions to high-value problems.
As a VP of Product, you will take overall ownership for one of five core products.
This person will be responsible for:
- Defining the over-arching vision and strategy for your product area at Deliveroo, in collaboration with the entire product team and cross-functional teams
- Lead and develop a team of Product Managers responsible for driving their product and business, fostering a culture of innovation with business and customer-centricity
- Develop a product vision while coordinating awareness & execution across multiple levels and functions to empower operating teams around a cohesive strategy
- Articulate their customer-facing vision for future innovation, and drive investment cases to continually enhance their market position and customer impact
- Provide transparency around objectives and success metrics and the direction and progress towards these objectives
- Extensive work experience leading business and product initiatives;
- Strong knowledge of marketplace businesses/experience in a high-growth business environment or start-up is a plus
- Experience in online product management, partnering with engineers and product designers, overseeing a dedicated team and leading product prioritization, the roadmap, and delivery of user-facing functionality
- Apply an uncompromising focus on business partnerships, intellect, data, and well-honed judgment to ensure you’re focused on making the biggest difference to their restaurants and customers with your work and the biggest impact on Deliveroo
- Possess an evangelist’s touch for inspiring an organization with your product vision, instituting passion and excitement for your work, and the ability to convince the team to be thrilled with an outcome, even if at times it varies significantly from their original ask
Life at Deliveroo
We are a small team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.