Job title: Business Automation Analyst
Location: London, UK
Closing date: 3 Jan 2020
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allows us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
As a Process and Business Automation Analyst in the BAE team, your role is to work with the business to scope, develop and launch products that it will be using. You will have two primary responsibilities:
1) Analysing the current environment through supporting the mapping of As-Is processes, understanding the IT landscape, and working with data science and BI teams. This requires applying thinking, gathering and analysing information using comprehensive tools and techniques, using data to formulate both short term day-to-day and long-term strategic plans, and identifying and analysing options to assess the technical and operational feasibility and operational impact.
2) Working with the business and the rest of the BAE team to make these plans into an end-to-end solution, combining pragmatic process improvements and helping build and deploy automated solutions that will make our work environment more efficient, robust and scalable.
The job will involve:
- Quickly understanding the existing business processes and technology landscape
- Facilitation of workshops and documentation of outcomes
- Creating process models (AS-IS and TO-BE)
- Understanding and gathering business requirements (functional and non-functional)
- Supporting the systems, data and process documentation and validation of the To-Be design and architecture and the opportunities for business spend
- Work with the teams, the Engineers in BAE and our Information Systems team to size both impact and effort and to help build a clear set of priorities to work through
- Work with Engineers to develop products which will solve the business issues we are aiming to unblock
- Work with the business to change process and implement tools by building an effective roll-out plan and change management program to give what the team can build the greatest impact
- Communicate throughout the process with relevant stakeholders - say what we need to change, how we are changing it and demonstrating the impact in clearly measured reporting.
- Challenging constructively and act as a critical friend to achieve solutions that are fit for purpose
- Big Picture Vision - the ability to zoom out from what is currently done and see why it is we need to do it. Able to quickly draw parallels and consolidate activities from diverse activities.
- Analytical Mindset - the scope to break down monolithic problems into clearly distinct and digestible issues and then identify options to resolve them
- Data/Process Fluency - to scope the catalogue of processes and map them, via workshops, to a project appropriate level, capturing the organisational responsibilities and system interactions (In MS Visio)
- Technical drive - to, over time, be able to independently build small scale features
- Attention to Detail - especially when it comes to process and the precise results teams need
- Structuring Ambiguity - in issues or ways of working and help a group see it too
- Independent Mindset - to identify novel opportunities and deliver results without large-scale engagement
- Communication Skills - whether that be managing more senior stakeholders or explaining technical requirements to the business, ability to flex your style to get the best out of your interactions is crucial
- Natural Empathy - the ability to put yourself in the shoes of others. You understand what will drive and motivate or equally what might alienate them and can help others with that understanding.
- Stakeholder Partnership - to engage, influence and excite a varied team from across multiple business units and help instil a joint feeling of ownership and pride in any transformations
- Project and Change Champion - to appreciate good but pragmatic project delivery practice and the importance of managing change to ensure successful implementation
Qualifications and Experience:
- Consulting or operational experience in a hyper-growth environment
- Successful track record of implementing transformational change in business process
- Knowledge of core business and finance processes and ERP systems
- Business Analysis Foundation and/or practice
- Strong impulse to tidy up and organise cluttered or disorganised business processes
- Adaptable and able to learn fast to cope with unique and shifting challenges
- Drive for impact and a need to deliver tools rapidly which solves tangible business problems
- Business understanding coupled with empathy to understand how people work and how software can be best engineered to improve their working lives.
- Experience using integrations as a service platforms (such as tray.io, DellBoomi etc.)
- Experience with relational/SQL and non-relational/NoSQL data architecture
- Fluency at developing with Python
- Strong understanding of project management methodologies and experience using them
Life at Deliveroo
We are a small team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.