When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
The role of Restaurant Strategy team is to define the suite of products and services we need to build to lead customers’ favourite restaurants through the online transition. This role will be responsible for developing a deep understanding of our partners’ needs, determining where we can have the greatest impact and working with both the local and products team to deliver this. As part of ensuring success and adoption of these tools, this team will need to consider how to capture restaurant feedback, as well as how we communicate with restaurants to help them understand how Deliveroo can work for them. The role will require close collaboration with local markets, the restaurants product team and central policy team
The primary responsibilities for this role would be
- Develop deep understanding of restaurant needs, including capturing feedback from local markets
- Develop data and insights to identify opportunities for improvement, and track performance over time
- Use understanding of restaurant needs to prioritise new services and tools based on their value to partners
- Build playbooks, tools and processes to solve problems (for example, what information do we need to provide restaurants to increase app ratings, what is the most effective way to do that, and at what point do we terminate the relationship)
- Build MVPs or business cases for new restaurant tooling (for example, Enterprise Sales & Ops Reporting) and work with the product team to develop these into fully fledged solutions
- Work with local teams to ensure adoption of playbooks and tools, and track performance versus objectives
What the ideal candidate should demonstrate
- 3-4 years experience gained in one of / a combination of the following: consulting; restaurant ops support; B2B tech; multi-sided platform business
- Strong problem solving ability; the candidate should be very comfortable using data to identify and prioritise key opportunities
- Ability to translate strategy into action - can build “stuff” - approaches, processes, tools and structured change methodologies
- Has the ability to build solutions and processes that scale; designs solutions for a multiple of the current size of the business
- Ability to influence multiple stakeholders internally as well as externally
Nice to have
- In depth understanding of restaurant operations and challenges
- Proficient in SQL
- Start-up / Scale-up experience a plus
Life at Deliveroo
We are a small team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-ups around.