When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allows us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
The Role - Instructional designer
The Instructional Designer role is a new position within the Sales Excellence team whose main function is to support the global restaurants sales team development through the creation, implementation, and enhancement of training solutions that will address the sales’s needs. This role will be based in our London HQ office and will report to the Sr Manager Training. This role will focus on designing, developing and improving content related to onboarding and in equipping sales reps and managers with real-time activity data and coaching, making it easier for them to adapt to changing buyers needs with speed.
The Instructional Designer will:
- Manage the design and development of engaging and interactive classroom content, virtual or remote, and web-based course content for current and new training programs
- You will apply advanced adult learning theories into a practical, application-based training strategy
- Create processes related to the design, development, and upkeep of training programs
- Report on the maintenance of and updates to course templates, trainer guides, trainee materials, and exercises that would impact KPIs
- Identify any items that need to be available before, during, and after training, including any technology and facility requirements
- Design training utilizing e-learning, game-based learning and other delivery methods that will support the acceleration of learning as measured by business performance
- Utilise project management tools and skills to lead content development projects
- Contribute to the development and implementation of new learning models and content design templates
- Set instructional end goals and create content that matches them
- Visualise instructional graphics, the user interface and the finished product
- Analyse and apply trends and best practices in learning technologies and instructional design
- Provide exercises and activities that enhance the learning process
- Create supporting material/media (audio, video, simulations, role plays, games etc)
Duties And Job Responsibilities
- Skillfully perform needs and task analysis to create targeted and engaging learning solutions that blend instructor-led with virtual classroom, and other modalities as appropriate
- Leverage data to effectively evaluate behavioural and business impact of our training material, as well as measure the effectiveness of the same learning interventions using key performance metrics
- Flex your skills to create e-based training content along with gamified lessons, blended courses, interactive videos etc. as required, supporting the translation and localisation of this content
- Interact with Operations, Marketing and other support teams within Deliveroo
- Simultaneously manage multiple, complex projects with tight deadlines and time-critical deliverables through their entire life cycle
- Help monitor and evaluate the design and development program, including external benchmarking and evaluation programs/opportunities
- Create a modular, standardised process to create learner-centered, performance-based training that is flexible, adaptable and scales gracefully globally.
- The ideal candidate will be comfortable in a fast-paced, multi-tasked, high energy environment. They will be an adult learning expert and a creative and analytical problem solver with a passion for excellence in customer service.
- The ability to deliver at speed. A preference for iterative approach to development
- Good communications skills and expert planning skills
- Transform the ideas to improve Sales Effectiveness and implement appropriate solutions
- They should have good analysing skills and ability to tackle critical situations
- Bachelor’s in Adult Learning, Instructional Design, Learning Technology, or a related field
- Three years relevant experience in instructional design
- Demonstrated skills in needs analysis and in the development of performance-based training across multiple learning modalities, with eLearning development being an essential requirement
- Proven experience in designing and developing application and customer simulations
- High proficiency with the Articulate Storyline application simulation tools
- Proficient with G-Suite and/or with Microsoft Office products and graphic design - digital video equipment editing packages (Photoshop, Adobe Suite, Go-Animate, Camtasia)
- Experience in Social Learning, Gamification and/or use of Multimedia in training
- Experience with publishing and tracking learning objects in an LMS
- Self-starter, with proven experience of working on program/projects with a geographically dispersed team
- 2+ years of instructional design experience, preferably in development of sales training
Life at Deliveroo
We are a small team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.