When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
We’re looking for a growth & marketing director to lead restaurant partner growth for Deliveroo. This role will partner with central function & in-country teams to deliver best-in-class growth & marketing strategies that deliver commercial results. They will be responsible for strategic proposition development, guiding teams on how to balance demand across competing partners and managing internal and external stakeholders as the expert in restaurant marketing for the company.
The person will know our global restaurant partners inside and out. Dive deep into the data and meet with key stakeholders to understand segments, needs, priorities and growth areas. Be the voice of restaurants in the business and within the marketing team, developing frameworks & processes to engage restaurants with Deliveroo marketing.
- Consumer marketing proposition development - define our marketing offering to our global priority/enterprise/midmarket partners a) based on what each segment considers valuable, and b) that aligns with our investment philosophy in each segment. Define the additional proposition for our preferred and exclusive partners over and above our core proposition
- Restaurant marketing investment framework - collaborate with finance, and central marketing stakeholders to define the investment approach across our segments - how much should we invest in our global marketing effort, vs. other segments?
- Joint marketing business plans - work closely with in-country teams to lead the relationship with our priority restaurants and QSRs to leverage them for growth, building joint annual marketing plans and JBPs. This includes involvement in national brand and promo campaigns, restaurant specific activity, site-specific targeted support etc. Plans must be both tactical (driving transactions) and brand-driven to provide partners with holistic marketing plans that measurably and sustainably drive transactions.
- Bespoke enterprise preferred marketing pitches - for the top global/national partners, develop a suite of ideas that we can pitch (what we give, what we get) to drive preferred / exclusive marketing. Directly participate in enterprise pitches for top X accounts.
- Playbooking - lead the development, implementation & codification of key toolkits, playbooks & assets banks to best support all restaurants.
- Cross-functional collaboration - work closely with growth product, performance marketing, CRM, PR & partnerships to co-develop initiatives and activity that best leverage selection and drive engagement with customers.
- Measure, Test & Learn - define & measure the relevant restaurant marketing KPIs. Utilise data-driven decision making to improve the performance of our marketing efforts.
- Innovate - develop new products and services focused at delivering unique marketing value (e.g., structured pricing tests, copy testing, menu performance, incrementality) not currently supported by current capabilities by identifying need, building the business case, and executing with partners.
- Own - have accountability for the success of each national and global campaign run alongside these partners and for the overall sales and profitability objectives of these partners based on their own targets and internal Deliveroo budgets.
- 8+ years marketing experience running successful insight led growth strategies.
- Experience in the restaurant or groceries industry - which you can leverage based on your understanding of the needs or our partners
- You will have demonstrable experience of balancing demand or needs from multiple partners, clients etc with clear aptitude to make difficult trade offs and prioritisation decisions between clients when needed to align with our investment strategy.
- You will be a confident internal and external spokesperson, able to excel at communicating. You will be adept at understanding restaurant needs and viewpoints, whilst being able to concisely articulate strategy & ideas and can persuasively sell these in.
- You will have experience of working with remote teams and have a proven ability of being able to develop strategies & plans that balance global consistency with local nuances. You are adept at developing frameworks that can be deployed in multiple markets and are skilled at assessing and reporting on the impact of these activities.
- You’re extremely comfortable with numbers, P&Ls & complex data. You can partner with data science, finance & commercial to provide analytically led & data driven plans that validate your strategic rationale.
- Fantastic strategic thinker. You can see the wood for the trees, are able to distill complex data and information into key insights & themes. You can easily articulate a strategic approach and priorities.
- You have specific experience of strategic proposition development across different segments within a relevant industry.
- A self-starter attitude that’s comfortable with constant change and enjoys working in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven track record in making things happen - delivering results quickly and efficiently.
- A creative problem solver who can think things through analytically.
- A proactive, can-do attitude, full of great ideas and able to get stuff done autonomously.
- Great communication & collaboration skills with a passion for building strong relationships and working cross-functionally in order to establish and meet shared organizational goals