Job title: Local Activation Director
Location: London, UK
Closing date: 10 October 2019
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
We’re looking for someone to lead our local activation efforts across all markets. This role will work closely & collaboratively with commercial teams, product teams, marketing channel leads, regional leads & in-country teams to deliver best-in-class hyperlocal (at region, city, town or neighbourhood basis) growth and marketing strategies that deliver commercial results. This role reports to the Director of Regional Growth & is based in London.
A successful candidate will be an entrepreneurial thinker. S/He will have a passion for developing innovative strategies to drive results, delivering multi-market executions & testing (and learning from) new initiatives. S/he will have a natural ability to think strategically to solve business problems. S/he will be experienced in managing multiple stakeholders and have a broad knowledge and understanding of the marketing channel mix. S/he will be a self starter, comfortable with ambiguity in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment, and able to ‘think big’ while paying careful attention to detail.
- Hyper-Localised growth strategies - Lead the development of in-country growth & marketing plans focused on a hyper-local level (region, city, town or neighbourhood) ensuring our overarching strategy is turned into actionable activation plans that deliver results. Working closely with the marketing senior leadership team, finance, customer insight, procurement and our agencies, you will lead a matrix team to ensure activation meets our initial strategic objectives, is adapted where necessary to respond to feasibility or tactical changes, and provide unbiased 360 recommendations based on insight and commercial opportunity. You will be the central marketing point of contact responsible for ensuring the country strategic plan is activated in an inspiring, budget conscious and timely manner across all teams.
- Plans tailored to audience & customers - Lead the development of hyperlocal strategies with specific initiatives and executions tailored to every audience and customer needs e.g. working alongside the Customer Insights team to develop a consistent view on how to communicate with families
- Deliver key strategic projects - Deliver strategies, frameworks & guidance on key local activation projects to drive reach and consideration in market. Projects will include driving implementation of rider kit, scaling our approach to restaurant visibility or launching new ambassador programmes in key cities.
- New Markets - Lead the strategy & guide execution for new market launches across the different market segmentations, establishing test & learn approaches and sharing best practices between markets
- Internal Consultant - Act as an internal consultant to facilitate best practice implementation, economies of scale, test & learn experiments for key local activation initiatives e.g. sport sponsorship
- Playbooking - lead the development, implementation & codification of key toolkits, playbooks & assets banks to best support all restaurants.
- Go-to-market planning - Lead project coordination & marketing strategy for a variety of cross-country GTM business plans (alongside PMM where relevant) e.g. the launch of Click & Collect or grocery.
- 8+ years marketing experience running successful insight led growth strategies.
- 6+ years of relevant team leadership experience
- Experience at a top-performing retail/eComm/tech/FMCG company preferred
- You will have extensive experience of managing significant budgets & deploying plans across a number of complex channels. You will have specific experience dealing with cross-functional teams, managing multiple agencies including creative & media.
- Fantastic strategic thinker. You can see the wood for the trees, are able to distill complex data and information into key insights & themes. You can easily articulate a strategic approach and priorities.
- A self-starter attitude that’s comfortable with constant change and enjoys working in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong project management skills with an ability to manage multiple stakeholders across different markets to get things done.
- Proven track record in making things happen - delivering results quickly and efficiently.
- A creative problem solver who can think things through analytically.
- A proactive, can-do attitude, full of great ideas and able to get stuff done autonomously.
- Great communication & collaboration skills with a passion for building strong relationships and working cross-functionally in order to establish and meet shared organizational goals
Life at Deliveroo
We are a small team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.