Job Title: Data Science Manager, Algorithms
Location: Cannon Street, London
Closing Date: 5 December 2019
Deliveroo delivers food to hungry customers in 13 countries and over 200 cities. To ensure our continued success and international growth, we are investing heavily in our Algorithms Data Science function, which builds intelligent machines that solve extremely difficult, mission critical problems, such as dynamic vehicle routing, incentivising our fleet of riders, network load management, and personalisation. We are seeking an experienced manager to support Algorithms Data Science teams from fields such as machine learning, computer science, operations research, cognitive neuroscience, econometrics, computer vision, and physics. We’re dedicated to building a collaborative and supportive culture. We are not directive. We set goals and objectives and offer advice. We empower our data scientists to find rigorous and impactful algorithmic solutions to complex problems at scale. We trust them to use their time wisely.
As a Data Scientist Manager at Deliveroo, you will:
- Be line manager to one or more Algorithms teams of Data Scientists (teams typically have 4-5 individuals) with various expertise including Machine Learning, Operational Research, Experimentation, and Product Analytics..
- Help guide your teams to build the intelligent machines that are transforming our business!
- Be a force multiplier: mentor and support data scientists with a range of industry experience, from those fresh out of university through those who are experienced and are deepening their technical leadership skills.
- Collaborate with Product Managers and other colleagues across the business to develop and provide the strategic context that allows your teams to identify the most impactful work.
- Work in a team specifically devoted to building production algorithms, with dedicated engineers, analytics/experimentation data scientists, and a Product Manager
Some examples of the problems your team might tackle in your new role:
- Solve dynamic, stochastic routing problems whose complexity is at or beyond the cutting edge of current theory
- Effectively combine routing algorithms with demand forecasting models, rider availability models, and restaurant scheduling models
- Effectively and automatically nudge riders to maximise their earnings while providing a delightful service to our customers
- Dynamically price our service
- Help customers discover great new restaurants that will delight them personally
- Target CRM and restaurant marketing campaigns to the customers that will find them most relevant
Deliveroo is a data-driven organisation: Algorithms will be A/B tested quickly and rigorously and you will have direct, measurable impact to the bottom line.
- Prior line management experience with data scientists, and a track record of empowering teams to be more impactful.
- Masters degree or PhD (PhD preferred) in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Statistics, Operations Research, Mathematics, Econometrics, or other quantitative field, or equivalent experience.
- Experience with building effective algorithms at industry scale.
- Fantastic exposure to scaling a tech team at a unique pace
- Work at our new headquarters right by Cannon Street Station. The office has a prayer room, nap room, onsite gym, and a rooftop garden overlooking Tower Bridge. We hold firmwide meetings on our basketball court
- Flexible working, including parent friendly working hours, flexible hours, working from home days - all made easy by our great use of tech including video conferencing, slack, workplace
- Maternity/paternity leave and shared parental leave
- An internationally diverse, sociable, dynamic team to work alongside
- Conferences (attending and/or speaking) and learning resources
- Company benefits including: discounted private healthcare and a pension plan with employer contributions, childcare voucher scheme, cycle to work scheme, charitable giving, subsidised gym membership, cycle parking)
- Company wide tech talks with internal and external speakers, and a calendar of tech meetups hosted on the premises
- Regular team off-sites
- Deliveroo Plus subscription (no delivery fee on all orders)
- Every Friday we order lunch for everyone from restaurants on the Deliveroo platform
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups around.