When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
In this role you will be challenged with continuing to innovate and advance the way Deliveroo builds and operates its marketplace for riders to ensure the best outcomes for customers, riders and restaurants. The Global Planning and Performance team is responsible for the performance and efficiency of the delivery network across all 14 markets - this includes rider planning, logistics, incentives and rider fee pricing. Deliveroo’s on-demand operations are incredibly complex with a lot of moving parts, it will be your job to use your skills in data and analytics to unpick these moving parts and provide strategic solutions to unlocking growth and profit.
Operating at scale in a high growth environment is no mean feat, as such you will be faced with some of the most exciting problems across the food tech space. You will work closely with restaurant operations, product and business intelligence to drive cross-functional projects across varied areas of the business.
- Strategy and execution – Build analysis and insights to better understand what developments and improvements need to be made to our delivery network in order to delivery the customer winning proposition.
- Operating efficiency and performance - Work closely with the local markets, Business Intelligence and Product to build the reporting and operational processes to ensure sustainable operations that can continue scaling.
- Design and implementing improvements to rider planning & performance tools - Work with Rider Growth, Product and Business Intelligence on our forecasting, pricing and incentive structure tooling for the delivery network. Get inputs and buy in from local markets on these changes and own roll-out and impact monitoring
- Support local markets on making increasingly data-driven decisions – Provide analytical support to local markets on selected projects and develop frameworks to ensure strategic objectives are met.
- Work with product - Work closely with Product to help define the priority tools and features that need building to ensure we continue to run a lean growth machine.
- Analytical - Able to ‘think big’ as well as execute ‘on-the-fly’ via understanding the dynamics behind the business through your analysis.
- Strategic thinker - Can stay one step ahead when thinking about the impact of the changes we are deploying to the delivery network. It’s a plus if you have a background or demonstrated interest in behavioural economics with an ability to utilise learnings from this field to a real world problem.
- Project management – know the basics of managing multiple projects and stakeholders in a structured and logical way.
- Effective communicator - outstanding interpersonal and business skills. Able to quickly establish gravitas and credibility with a range of stakeholders.
- Track record of ‘getting shit done’ - operational knowledge of the business and how it works today. Know when you have enough insight to make-a-call and apply the 80 / 20 rule – rapid high-quality decisions.
- Adaptable fixer - enthusiastic, flexible & adaptable with the ability to remove barriers & bottlenecks via facilitation, creativity & resourcefulness. Don’t slavishly follow processes if they aren’t right.
- Can build “stuff” - approaches, processes, tools and structured change methodologies.
- Inquisitive - infectiously curious, thoughtful and happy to question the status-quo.
- Highly comfortable with data - you are comfortable building analytical models to analyse and understand business cases. SQL and / or Python skills a major plus.
- Experience in a top tier consultancy / investment banking / fast-growing start up / data analytics
- Strong analytical mind set.
- Excellent stakeholder management and communication skills.
- Comfortable with data - working knowledge of visualisation tools (e.g. Tableau, Looker, Periscope), SQL and / or Python.
- Preferable but not required - experience or studies in behavioural economics and game theory.
- Has fun and enjoys working in a collaborative environment.
Life at Deliveroo
We are a small team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.