Job title: Senior Design Technologist
Location: Cannon Street, London
Closing date: 6 November 2019
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
The Design Ops team at Deliveroo is responsible for providing the systems and tools which enable our designers to create best-in-class experiences for our users. We support teams to ensure Deliveroo products are cohesive, delightful to use and can be built efficiently by our engineers and enjoyed by our millions of customers. Based in London as part of the wider Experience group, Design Ops has a huge impact on our products and integral to scaling our team effectively.
We’re looking for a Senior Design technologist to help strengthen the bridge between engineering and design disciplines. This a unique role dedicated to ensuring design and engineering teams can speak the same language and collaborate effectively. We’re looking for somebody to own this relationship, lead on technical initiatives and define new systems and tooling.
The ideal candidate will be part engineer, part designer with a keen eye for detail. You’ll collaborate closely with the design and engineering teams to deliver high impact tools and identify ways to improve our design systems, code components and prototyping assets. This role will have a huge amount of influence in how designers and engineers work together to consistently produce high quality work.
What you will work on
The products and tools we work on are as diverse as the users we serve, and we’re fortunate to be in a company where design is a first class citizen. Design Ops is responsible for its own roadmap and initiatives that serve the wider design organisation.
On a day-to-day basis, you will:
- Own and maintain scalable code based design systems and component libraries
- Ideate and build plugins and tools to aid work visibility, prototyping and live data assets
- Create processes which help operationalize and bring efficiencies to the design org
- Interact with engineers to define a technical approach for systems and code components
- Help to evaluate the technical impact of design decisions and find ways to work more efficiently
This role is for you if you:
- Like sweating the details
- Care about doing things right
- Have a well trained eye for great UI design execution
- Look at everything through the lens of scalability and impact
- Are fantastic at communicating your thoughts and decisions
- Can abstract away technical complexity and create ‘magic’ through simplicity
- Understand the challenges faced by a scaling tech team in a highly competitive space
- Geek out about what Figma and Framer can do for teams
- Have a good sense of humour!
- Have a great appetite (we love eating!)
We value intellectual humility, eagerness to learn, and the ability to move quickly while being pragmatic about our decisions. But above all else, we're looking for unique personalities with varied backgrounds that add something new to our team.
What we're looking for
- Expert understanding of modern web standards and technical approaches
- Exposure to native frameworks (ReactNative, Android, iOS).
- Experience building scalable code based design systems and component libraries
- Experience working in high-growth product companies with an international footprint
- Knowledge of native platform-specific patterns
- In depth knowledge of web performance, accessibility or complementary skill-sets
- Familiar with version control systems, shipping processes and testing
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.