When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 14 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
One of the biggest and most strategic bets we’ve made is Deliveroo Editions, bespoke kitchens designed to host a locally curated selection of restaurants. With over 200 kitchens, 30 sites across 8 countries, Editions are our solution to ensuring that our customers have access to the best of the food scene, no matter where they live.
The Global Editions Planning & Analytics Manager is at the forefront of ensuring that Deliveroo strengthens its position as a leader in the food delivery market. You will work alongside local Planning & Analytics teams to ensure the smooth and efficient running of rider operations for all 31 Editions global sites. You will do this by providing the analysis, reporting, stakeholder management, and Editions-specific knowledge required for success in each of our markets.
You will be embedded in the UK & Ireland Planning & Analytics team but be dedicated to the Global Editions team. This is a completely new role with the initial focus being several high priority UK focussed projects, however the remit is global. If the role is a success there is potential for responsibilities to be expanded in the future.
You will be adept at working independently to diagnose, resolve and report on areas of concern; at communicating proficiently with multiple stakeholders, some of whom will be across different time zones; and be an excellent communicator who is able to function as a central point of rider operational excellence within the Editions organisation.
You will have the ability to understand company objectives that relate to all Planning & Analytics, propose the most effective method to achieve those objectives, understand the potential impact of competing workstreams, and influence the relevant stakeholders to ensure that those objectives are realised. You will remain agile and resilient, and develop a holistic outlook of all Editions markets business that you will seek to instil in others.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Become a subject matter expert for rider operations
- Manage the interests of customers, riders and restaurants in every decision you take to strengthen the business both now and into the future via a smooth logistics network
- Proactively find areas for improvement, be innovative in seeking the best solution, and execute in a timely and considered manner
- Take business priorities into account to lead project work to a very high standard
- Act as the key individual for rider operations within the Editions organisation
- Attain the knowledge to represent the team in discussions with senior stakeholders
- Develop operational best practice by learning from the experiences of local teams to constantly develop and implement best practice procedures in a fast changing, dynamic and competitive environment
- Work closely with other functions within the business to ensure targets are aligned and cross departmental projects co-ordinated
- Adaptable fixer - Enthusiastic and flexible with the ability to remove barriers via facilitation, creativity and resourcefulness. Don’t slavishly follow processes if they aren’t right
- Analytical - Able to identify the relevant information required to make a decision and present that information in a concise, logical manner
- Communication - Able to develop good working relationships with key stakeholders, influence, and attain the requisite buy in
- Inquisitive - Infectiously curious and happy to question the status-quo
- Mentor - Position yourself as a leader within Editions and be sought after as a source of knowledge, advice, and experience
- Organised - Always deliver the right work at the right time
- Project management - Experience managing multiple projects and stakeholders in a structured and logical way
- Track record of ‘getting shit done’ - Operational knowledge of the business and how it works today. Know when you have enough insight to make-a-call and apply the 80 / 20 rule – rapid high-quality decisions
- Enjoy working in a fast changing, collaborative environment with ambitious targets designed to disrupt a major global market
The UK Planning & Analytics team is a dynamic team working on a range of projects at any one time. The team works as a central component of the success of the UK market, continuously interacting with many stakeholders to support the UK business in the pursuit of dominating the UK food delivery market.
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.