When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three-sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allows us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
Deliveroo’s Information Systems teams are currently running numerous change projects globally to support the rapid growth of the company and we’re seeking an experienced Zendesk Engineer to work with our leaders globally to develop and deploy business-critical solutions.
As the Zendesk Engineer, you will support, administer and develop third-party systems used by our Customer Care teams. Whilst taking full ownership of the Zendesk platform and becoming the expert in all its functionality, the full suite of our third-party system coverage includes: Zendesk Support + Guide, Gooddata /Bime, Zendesk, Chat, Twilio, New Voice Media and Zapier.l
- You run day-to-day issues raised by our user base
- Monitor environments to ensure they are operating effectively in an optimal state
- Actively contribute to monitoring and alerting on our strategy and approach, using continuous improvement
- Ensure monitoring is sufficient and appropriate for the environment and customers
- Deploy environments on-demand, with an understanding of the build process
- Resolve operational and product problems effectively and you call them out as required to minimise the impact on users and Deliveroo as a whole
- Update records at all stages of processes so our customers and your colleagues can view the latest information in real-time
- Assist with incident management, requests and problems
- Create and implement technical standards across systems and you effectively communicate such standards to our support and deployment teams
- Deploy and upgrade application stack into production and non-production environments
- Establish and maintain sound backup and recovery policies and procedures
- Engage with our wider business regarding the development of hosted services - there may be a requirement for you to work “out of hours” during major projects or upgrades
- Manage changes with version control systems
What We Are Looking For
- You have experience conducting in-depth reviews of workflows to further optimise existing processes with the use of technology
- Risk-analysis and experience working in dynamic environments.
- Experienced in planning, building and maintaining efficient, scalable customer care structures across your various support roles.
- Expertise driving product change and improvement to maximise potential support platforms
- You identify solutions to problems and strive for continuous improvement
- An effective problem solver, you have successfully resolved issues relating to third-party systems, calling out effectively where necessary
- Proven ability to effectively back and administer third-party systems
- You strive to educate and empower users to become self-sufficient across all systems whilst mentoring others, you create supports material catered to both technical and non-technical staff
- Expertise in planning and developing new web apps, especially Zendesk apps
- Both front-end and back-end development experience
- Solid API experience with a deep understanding of cloud technologies and SaaS concepts
- You have a solid grasp of shell scripting
- Sound knowledge of ITIL and ITSM concepts and foundations
- Technical services support and deployment experience
- Strong customer service skills with passion and a positive attitude
- Experience working with VOIP systems
- Ability to communicate coherently with business leaders across all markets
- A strong ability to communicate findings to non-technical stakeholders in a concise and engaging manner.
- You're curious and have a natural ability to "zoom out” of a problem, in order to ask the right questions.
- You're able to plan, organise, and prioritise work
- You develop and maintain good working relationships with clients to promote high levels of customer service.
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with a very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to anyone of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-ups around.