When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
We are looking for a Business Strategy Manager to join our team based in our Melbourne head office. The Business Strategy Manager will act as a right hand person and report directly into the Country Manager for Deliveroo Australia as well as work closely with the leadership team to help solve the most critical strategy problems throughout the business. This person will take a company-wide perspective, build frameworks and support implementation of high impact projects as well as build cross-functional relationships with key stakeholders and teams to achieve goals, while enforcing accountability.
The role will see you lend support to all functions within the business (commercial, operations, marketing, customer care and people), with a focus on improving business sustainability and finances, as well as department accountability, playing the role of an internal strategy consultant.
This is a unique opportunity for a problem solver and strategic thinker, to get great exposure in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
You will work closely with the Country Manager and Leadership team to look after the medium-to-long-term projects and challenge the way we do things, driving innovation forward. Responsibilities include:
- Work on the planning of different elements of the business strategy. This will include quarterly and annual planning
- Own end-to-end projects from design all the way through to implementation
- Drive both the qualitative and quantitative analysis to help design and execute the right strategies for initiatives
- Build cross-functional relationships with key stakeholders across Australia as well as HQ
- Participate in the constant optimisation of our activity by submitting hypotheses based on analyses undertaken
- Cross-department project management based work
- Support the Country Manager with the quarterly and annual reforecasting / budgeting process
- Motivate the teams and employees to achieve business objectives
- Produce analytical types of reports for management review
- Coach and develop the Business Strategy Associate
- 3-5 years work experience at a top tier strategy consulting firm
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills
- Advanced excel and powerpoint skills
- Experience working with profit and loss statements
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Experience of managing complex projects with multiple senior stakeholders
- Track record of execution capability
- Ability to sniff out, chase and proactively solve complex problems without much guidance
- A passion for food
- Become one of the key employees of a fast-growing, exciting startup changing the food delivery landscape
- Open, respectful and fun company culture
- BIG Friday lunches – Deliveroo'd to the office of course
- Fortnightly exercise class to counteract all the amazing food
- Have a real impact on the company’s growth and evolution
- Work with people who love what they do every day
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.