When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
- Corporate acquisition: You’ll be responsible for the prospecting, pitching and, with the help of our expert Business Development Managers (BDMs), closing new corporations in your territory. This is an inside sales opportunity, so you’ll be comfortable with ambitious activity targets for cold calls, emails and social media.
- Own your pipeline: Take control over your own pipeline and use your organisation skills to manage your portfolio of leads and ensure strong conversion rates.
- Process Strategy: Iterate with our sales processes to make our inside sales unit the fastest-moving and biggest impact team within Deliveroo.
- Commercial Initiatives: Assist our wider commercial team with ad-hoc strategic initiatives like field pitch days, food drop-offs, and cross-functional projects.
The right candidate will be hungry, ambitious and motivated to work within a fast moving environment. As a guide, the ideal person will possess the following:
(Remember, this is just a guide, and if you see something you can’t tick off… good, you can learn here)
- A degree (this is a great role for recent grads with an entrepreneurial mindset)
- Experience within a fast moving sales environment, and if not;
- Experience and confidence pitching things you’re passionate about (in your first week, we’ll test your metal by seeing how you fare pitching Deliveroo for Business to the other team members)
- Phone-based experience is a big plus
- Ability to take ownership and work within demanding targets
- An interest in all things food and restaurants. Deliveroo is a company of people unapologetically passionate about what they do – if you’re not into food, you soon will be.
- Perseverance and grit – you’re a hustler, and you’re not afraid of rejection
- Competitiveness – you’ll be working within a highly efficient team who like to win (as individuals and together)
- Curiosity – you’re a lifelong learner who is always striving to be outside of your comfort zone and test new ideas
- Top notch people skills – you have bags of emotional intelligence and can persuade even the toughest of prospects
Life at Deliveroo
We are a small team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around