When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
We are looking for a creative data engineer / analyst / data scientist with strong technical skills to join our Performance and Market Intelligence team at Deliveroo. As a BI Data Developer you will be responsible for sourcing and integrating external data that helps us understand and improve our business performance. This data can come in many shapes and sizes, so you will need to be happy working with both structured and unstructured data; and you will need the vision to create a flexible and sustainable data platform that brings it all together. You will be part of a team of BI Developers, Data Scientists and Analysts that helps the Commercial, Strategy and Exec Teams make the best long term decisions about the future of Deliveroo.
As a Data Scientist at Deliveroo you will be:
- Always curious and willing to learn new skills
- A problem solver with an analytical mindset
- A critical thinker with strong attention to detail
You will have:
- Direct experience building data/insights tools for business stakeholders, or experience in a related field (engineering, data science, BI, analytics), with some exposure to tool building.
- Developer experience with a data visualisation tool - Looker, Tableau etc.
- Excellent SQL skills - you’ll be heavily involved in modelling data in our SQL pipeline, and preparing it for use by analysts and by Looker. Query optimisation abilities are thus a must.
Nice to haves:
- Specific experience developing in Looker
- An understanding of database structures and/or data pipelines (streaming & batch) - Snowflake exposure a bonus.
- Exposure to automation of analytics tools - Slack bots a bonus
- A good understanding of another coding language (such as Python)
You will get to help answer questions like:
- How do we ensure the business can seamlessly access the right metrics, through self-service, in order to:
- Measure performance
- Regularly make decisions backed by data
- Readily understand causal factors behind a change if desired
- Know when a change is anomalous or just noise
- What are the most appropriate tools we should be leveraging to help surface our data to the business?
- How do we balance analytical rigor and velocity in such a fast moving business?
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.