When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 6 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 6 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
What your role would be
In the 8-12 weeks of this internship, you’ll be embedded within the Global Delivery Operations team and heavily involved in the Live Operations vertical to solve these two key questions:
1) Quantify the value of Live Operations for Deliveroo
2) Identify and size opportunities to enhance Live Operations
Live Operations is the team in each of our markets that monitors all in-flight orders and intervenes when necessary – i.e. they prevent orders from going really wrong. The team interacts with all actors – rider, restaurant, customer – both proactively and reactively to fix any operational issues within the order journey to ensure the best possible order outcome.
You will be working within a dynamic team of Associates and reporting to the Global Operations Strategy Manager. You’ll also be expected to work very closely with the following stakeholders:
- Global Delivery Ops – to shape the vision for Live Operations
- Local Live Operations teams – to understand the current state-of-play and identify current bottlenecks
- Finance – to size the opportunities and improvements that you’ll be recommending
- Tech Organisation – to inform and influence priorities and/or products that has the most impact
Qualities we’re looking for
- Adaptable with a “can-do attitude” – is positive and proactive, and energised by working in a fast-paced environment characterised by constant change
- Analytical and able to quickly prioritise – is able to quickly identify opportunities, issues, inefficiencies and how big these might be
- Obsessive about improvement – has a passion for incremental optimisation/continuous improvement and comes up with both “hacky” and more “gold-plated” improvements
- Strategic, yet pragmatic – is able to ‘think big’, yet also pragmatically to ensure changes are ambitious but achievable
- An effective communicator – has great interpersonal skills and the ability to quickly gain the trust and respect of others and to get their buy-in/sign-off
- Logical, structured and data-driven – is able to use logic and data to prioritise and drive change
We are looking for someone who:
- Has 3-5 years experience as a Associate Consultant (or equivalent) in a consulting firm or strategy function in a top-tier corporate
- Has a deep desire to solve real world problems, who sees the beauty of data and structure and how important these are to understanding a problem and identifying effective solutions
- Is adept at conducting 80/20 analysis, drawing out business insights from that analysis and presenting findings and recommendations persuasively
We’d never judge you on any of the things that make you who you are – your gender, race, sexuality, religion or dislike of coriander – great workplaces should reflect the beautifully diverse world we live in. So if you love food, like us, and want to join our fast-growing start-up, why not get in touch?