When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 6 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 6 years and we operate in 14 countries (18 Payrolls) with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we're just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it's clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT's' list of Europe's fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte's 'UK Top 50' two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us. The Head of Payroll sits within Financial Reporting, and reports to the Director of Corporate Reporting and Financial Operations.
Now, let’s get down to business…
You will work directly with key stakeholders (Local HRBP, Comp and Benefit, Senior Finance Managers, People Operations and Tax teams):
- Monitor KPI’s, support & guide countries to ensure accurate & timely reporting. Share practices and drive consistency with an aim to improve operational efficiency and improve accuracy in pay.
- Enable the ongoing identification of operational & regulatory risk. For any risks identified, ensure clear mitigation plans are defined, with clear ownership that are tracked through to resolution.
- Engage, oversee and approve any Payroll change within each market, ensuring alignment (where possible) to globally standardized payroll processes and requirements.
- Identify and progress opportunities for improvement within each market, that align to finance OKRs.
- Ensure consistent management of all 3rd party payroll impacting providers.
Your impact on the business
- Drive cost reduction across the payroll platform in all markets, through adoption of centralized operational processing, application of standardized processes and delivery of a consistent service model.
- Monitor Global Payroll KPI’s, support & guide countries to ensure accurate & timely reporting. Share practices and drive consistency with an aim to improve operational efficiency and improve accuracy in pay delivery in line with the finance OKRs
Operations and Control
- With the support of our Outsourced Payroll Provider (iiPay) ensure all local payrolls are compliant with all internal compliance and external regulatory obligations. Partner with all Local HRBPs and GMs to embed this framework, into each country’s end to end payroll processes.
- By understanding each country’s payroll operations, work with the Local HRBP within each market to ensure process controls are embedded within each of the markets end to end payroll process.
- Monitor the ongoing effectiveness of all key payroll controls across each market, and enable the ongoing identification of operational & regulatory risk.
- For new projects that impact payroll, engage, oversee and approve the definition of payroll functional requirements and understand upstream process impacts. Ensure functional payroll requirements fully align to (where possible) global payroll processes & requirements and are fully compliant with local country regulations. Ensure all changes are robustly tested to ensure implementation is line with approved payroll functional requirements, with no negative impact to individuals pay.
- Manage the delivery of payroll related projects, and the payroll deliverables on wider scoped projects.
- Own & manage the relationship with the Payroll Providers, driving best practice working, a high level of accuracy and customer service and adherence to SLAs.
Customers / Stakeholder
- Develop a close working relationship with the Central People Team and Finance Managers, to facilitate the management and prioritisation of all Payroll related projects and changes across all markets
- Develop relationships with key stakeholders in local markets (GMs and Local HRBPs) ensuring alignment of objectives and deliverables.
- Provide advice and guidance to relevant stakeholders on the operational & technical aspects of Payroll.
Experience and Qualifications
- A minimum of 8 years progressive experience in Payroll management;
- Detailed operational knowledge of payroll & experience of management within a global payroll team;
- Proven history of effectively managing Outsourced Payroll Models ;
- Experience with HCM Platforms (ideally Workday);
- Demonstrable experience in HR and Finance Operations;
- Ability to demonstrate strong leadership & stakeholder management skills across all levels of management;
- Deep understanding of operational risk and experience in identifying & implementing controls to mitigate such risks;
- Excellent planning and organisational skills;
- Ability to work under pressure in a reactive environment with conflicting demands, and be comfortable with ambiguity;
- Sound judgmental skills to identify and resolve challenges and issues;
- Ability to make considered decisions that protect and enhance Deliveroo values, reputation and commercial interests; and
- Experience in high growth and / or tech start up environments.
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we're always looking for new ideas and we're very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them. There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven't even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company's success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up's around.