When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
An exciting opportunity to join the Australian Operations Management Team for one of the world’s fastest growing startups. The Operations Manager for Australia will be responsible for the development and implementation of key projects across the Operations department reporting to the Head of Operations for Australia – with a specific focus on the logistics & procurement area initially. The role is a mix between internal consultant and project manager with the added responsibility of looking after a team of 4 people.
The ideal candidate is an executor with management experience, strong analytical and problem-solving skills, detail orientation, and healthy dose of creativity. You will identify and oversee process improvements and lead strategic projects to drive efficiency within Supply and Logistics. Our Operations Managers work together closely and support the Commercial, Marketing and Sales departments. True passion for our business and excellent communication and stakeholder management skills are a must. We like to move fast, and so should you.
- Support the Head of Operations in setting and implementing the Operations team strategy with a particular focus on the logistics area initially
- Lead the strategy development and execution for the logistics area while managing the day-to-day business
- Drive process improvements to scale and increase efficiency across restaurant & rider supply chains;
- Manage key relationships with numerous third-party service providers across Rider Supply and Logistics;
- Oversee third party transport, warehousing and customs clearance operations;
- Liaise with Commercial, Marketing, Strategy and Central Logistics teams to ensure seamless, efficient, commercial operations;
- Coaching and performance management of a team of highly skilled, operations individuals;
- Regular reporting of business updates to the Australian Leadership team and Global Leaders;
- Ideally 3+ years in management consulting, investment banking or logistics management
- Demonstrated experience in analytics, stakeholder management and leading teams to success;
- People management experience
- Have an eye for detail and demonstrated ability to drive step-change process improvements;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English, with the ability to employ appropriate tone of voice for the situation;
- Energy to manage a high-performing team in a fast-paced, results-driven environment;
- A solid base of IT competence with proven experience with Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite and data analytics;
- Additional experience with eCommerce platforms, Python, SQL or Salesforce will be considered favourably;
- Food is your friend - you’ve got to have an appetite to work here!
- Become one of the key managers of a fast-growing, exciting startup, changing the food delivery landscape;
- Structured learning and development, including performance and management coaching;
- Open, respectful and fun company culture;
- BIG Friday lunches – Deliveroo'd to the office of course!
- Weekly Exercise class to counteract all the amazing food!
- Work with people who love what they do every day!
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.