When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
What you can expect as an intern
The Content, Research and Design team defines how our customers, riders, restaurants and employees interact with Deliveroo’s products. Based in London, our team has a global impact, with our work reaching customers in Singapore, riders in Amsterdam and restaurant kitchens in Paris.
One of the key disciplines in creating these experiences is content design. Content designers shape the format, structure, and flow of content within the overall online journey – whether it’s an app, website or restaurant system.
We’re offering the chance for someone from a content background who is looking to make the move into content design, to join the team and learn the ropes.
As a content design intern you’ll get:
- Mentorship – we’ll buddy you up with a senior member of the team who’ll be responsible for your time at Deliveroo. They’ll be your point of contact and your mentor during your time here
- Real product experience – you’ll have the chance to work on real projects, embedded into product teams, and will be responsible for delivering and presenting your project at the end of your internship
- Skills development – we’ll help you hone your content design skills, and provide opportunities to learn from our talented content design team
- Competitive pay – we’ll provide competitive pay for your time here at Deliveroo
What you might work on
During your time at Deliveroo you’ll be exposed to a number of very different areas, as the products we work on span the breadth of rider, restaurant, and customer experience. Here are some of the products you might work on:
- Our Rider app
- Products for our Restaurants
- Our suite of Consumer products
- Our Internal Tools which help us provide better customer service
- Our Content Design system
We value empathy and common sense, combined with an eagerness to learn, and the ability to move quickly while being pragmatic about your decisions.
Above all, we're looking for people that bring varied backgrounds and something new into our creative and dynamic team.
This role is for you if you:
- Have availability for 6 months. This will give you enough time to work deeply within different product areas or on large-scale projects
- Have some experience in content or communications but would love to try your hand at product writing
- Enjoy collaboration – you’ll need to be comfortable working closely with designers and researchers and be confident enough to present your thinking and content decisions
- Are passionate about content and the role it plays in the end user’s experience
- Love understanding how things work – you’ll work alongside engineers to create things like error or notification messages
- Are eager to learn more about how strategic content design decisions (such as the format of your content) can influence the product design
- Have a great appetite (we love eating!)
- Content-related experience such as content management, copywriting or social media
- A background in communications or relevant degree such as Journalism
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re transparent about the decisions we make, and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.