When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
WHO WE ARE
We’re in the business of delivering awesome meals into everyone's home or office – fast. We achieve this by building and running an impressive website, a suite of mobile apps, a complex logistical platform and a global operation - all to help bring great food from the world's best-loved local restaurants to consumers with an unparalleled level of convenience. Operating in 14 countries and over 200 cities, Deliveroo is on a mission to transform the way the world thinks about food.
As a analytical partner to the General manager and his/her team in the market, your role will be to support effective decision-making by analysing data from various sources and communicating your insight in a clear and digestible format. You will need to collaborate with a variety of different teams within the business, whether that is user research, product managers, engineers or your fellow data driven colleagues, so you need to enjoy working in partnership with like-minded people.
- Performance management - create “best in class” performance reporting for the local management team
E.g. what are the 5 most important KPIs our GM and his team should first read every morning?
- Data analysis - get your hands dirty into the problem and drive actionable insight from data perspective
E.g. One KPI has been trending down for the last 3 months? Why? And how to improve it?
- Connecting the dots - Have a strong ability to interpret and communicate findings from analytical initiatives to stakeholders at all levels of the business
E.g. You identified the cause of the problem and drafted an initial plan to solve this problem. How would you communicate your plan to the wider team?
- Impact - care about impact, and constantly be evaluating if your prioritisation levels are calibrating appropriately.
E.g. What’s the most important thing we have to do now rather than later?
- A problem solver with a deep analytical mindset;
- A critical thinker, with very strong attention to detail;
- A self-starter, able to identify variables influencing growth and define models to forecast their evolution;
- Always curious and always willing to learn new skills;
- Comfortable in working with tight deadlines, contributing to a fun, fast-paced, high impact and dynamic environment of Deliveroo.
- University degree with a technical background;
- 0-1 yrs experience in an analytical role;
- The ability to communicate complex findings to key stakeholders in a clear, simple way;
- Good command of Excel;
- Fluent in Dutch and English.
- Experience in logistics, delivery or hospitality services.
- Previous commercial use of other data mining/statistical languages (Python, R, SAS) is highly preferred (our stack is Python-based).
- Management or strategic consultancy experience or strategic experience in a business operating in a competitive landscape.
- Experience with data visualisation tools such as Tableau, Looker, or Periscope
- Basic knowledge of statistics (e.g. significance & confidence intervals) and/or econometrics
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.